The Menu (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Menu (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Anya Taylor-Joy has one of those faces that is really unusual. Mostly hot, sometimes not. Still...would.

This movie is about a very fancy and exclusive restaurant called the Hawthorne. Anya is there with Nicolaus Holt. At another table is John Leguizamo who might be playing himself. A dead ringer for the guy that was the executive in Robocop and the chief of police in Beverly Hills Cop is having dinner with his wife, Judith Light. Other faces might be familiar, but not so much to me. Ralph Fiennes is the chef and is excellent in this role.

All of these well-to-dos are here for the Hawthorne's nightly menu, and it's an impressive one. So do you enjoy watching people eat fancy food? Because that's the whole movie!

Just kidding. Almost immediately the film starts showing you that everything is not ok and there is a very clear message about society. And, if you're like me, it's not the message you might have thought from the trailer.

Good film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Menu (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Hadn't seen, hadn't been soilered, assumed they were eating poor people. Because that's A Message.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Menu (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:34 am Hadn't seen, hadn't been soilered, assumed they were eating poor people. Because that's A Message.
I had the same assumption, but maybe the twist is that they are poor people eating rich people, I dunno.

Haven't seen anything about this movie other than this thread.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Menu (2022)

Post by Leisher »

I had the same assumptions about cannibalism and the poor vs rich messaging. I'm happy to say that's not what this movie is about.

I think the message is far more personal to each viewer, but still speaking generally about society. If you understand what happens during a critical moment between the two main characters, then you understand what the film is talking about.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Menu (2022)

Post by Leisher »

I HIGHLY recommend you do not watch The Drinker's excellent breakdown of this film until after you've seen it. Spoiler: He also enjoyed it and recommends it. (Seriously, this might be his most positive and on point review yet.)

GORDON
Site Admin

The Menu (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Based on trailers I thought this was going to be some dumb foodie movie, I had no idea it was a horror.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."