Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

First of two sequels to this movie.

I enjoyed the first film, but criticized that it wasn't much of a "whodunit". I also felt like it was missing something. Both remain true for this sequel, and I think I know what the problem is with both: Too much style, not enough substance.

This series is the bimbo of the whodunit genre. Take a bunch of name actors and mix then with some up and comers. Make sure they all play quirky characters who have some reason to imply motive when ________ is killed. Let the film ride the coattails of their charisma because the story alone isn't enough. That's the "Knives Out" formula.

This time there's no actual mystery. I'm serious. Yeah, there's death and questions about who did it, but it's pretty blatantly obvious from the jump. The worst part is that Daniel Craig's "world's greatest detective" character has to walk around constantly saying bad dialogue like "this case vexes me so" and "it has so many layers". It doesn't. A beat cop could solve this case in about 30 seconds. The dialogue is like Rian is just metaphorically patting himself on the back for how clever his script is, but it isn't...not even a little.

This isn't a good whodunit. Death on the Nile is far superior is every way aside from the minor chuckles to be found. Also, the ending is insanely unsatisfying and monumentally stupid.
At that point his "friends" had both legal and economic reasons to not only continue supporting him, but actively stop her. She, literally, gave them all motive to kill her.

It was entertaining because of those involved, but this is not a well written movie.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid said it was woke garbage.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:14 am My kid said it was woke garbage.
I 100% get that take. Although, I do not know if I agree with it. Yes, I can show you exactly why someone would say that and it would make sense to you, but I have two problems with that. First, I think Hollywood has pushed their woke agenda so much that people are seeing it everywhere. Second, I don't think Rian Johnson is smart enough to have added it to his script without making it super blatant. Plus, without spoilers...let's just say that there's not many people in this movie who are without sin.

I just now realized there are no LGBQT people in this film, which is stunning.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:48 am I just now realized there are no LGBQT people in this film, which is stunning.
*Grabs pitchforks*
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Craigs character is gay
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:24 pm Craigs character is gay
Was that established in the first one? I forgot about it if so.

Also, how un-PC of them to cast a straight actor as a gay man.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:36 am
thibodeaux wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:24 pm Craigs character is gay
Was that established in the first one? I forgot about it if so.

Also, how un-PC of them to cast a straight actor as a gay man.
I don’t know if it’s “canon” and nothing pointing to it in the first movie that I recall.

Also why do you assume Daniel Craig is not gay? He’s British after all.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

His vodka commercial was putting out gay signals.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:01 pm Also why do you assume Daniel Craig is not gay? He’s British after all.
Fair point!
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

It's very self-consciously "Current Year" to the point of seeming like parody. Like: Bautista is a mens' rights activist twitch streamer who carries a pistol.

Which is actually a totally believable role for him, but you get the gist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rian Johnson seriously considered adding The Muppets to the Knives Out series.

His reason for and against I agree with:
“It’s a joke that I thought was pretty brilliant, and I ended up really giving [it] some serious thought… As much as I take the murder mystery genre seriously, I take the genre of a Muppet movie seriously… I think those two things have very different rules. You can either have a Benoit Blanc mystery that has Muppets in it, but they’ll feel out of place. Or you can have a Muppet movie that Benoit Blanc is in, but it’ll feel like a Muppet movie,” explains Johnson.
The bolded part made me unintentionally laugh though. I mean, has he watched Glass Onion? It was far more unrealistic comedy than serious murder mystery.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Un-related: The Muppet Christmas Carol is really good.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:57 pm Also, the ending is insanely unsatisfying
Agree.
Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:57 pm It was entertaining because of those involved, but this is not a well written movie.
Also agree.
I don't see it?
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:11 pm I mean, has he watched Glass Onion? It was far more unrealistic comedy than serious murder mystery.
And final agreement.