Barbarian (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Hollywood, take note of this movie. This is how you make a statement on society in a subtle manner without hammering people on the head with it and ruining your movie in the process. As for that statement, let's just say that some all of the breakdowns I've read were very one-sided. They overlook some events that don't contradict their analysis, but do paint a slightly different picture. I truly think delving deeper into this topic would be a fascinating conversation, although I don't think this forum would be the place for that. Only because we'd be missing someone to take "that side".

Anyway...

A woman is in Detroit for an interview. She rents an AirBnB and has arrived at the home. And that's all you're getting from me. I highly advise you avoid any spoilers or anything else about this film. Just see it.

Is it the "scariest movie in a decade"? No. It is unsettling at times. Lighting plays a big role in that so huge kudos to the crew for creating the perfect atmosphere for this story. Seriously, go in with no idea of what the film is about and watch it in total darkness. You will get why this is a very well made horror movie.

Do characters act stupidly? Yup. Are there moments where reality is thrown out the window? Yes, in two very big aspects. The director admitted during an interview that he did take some liberties with...physical aspects, but explained "it's a horror movie". Honestly, I'm fine with that. I think it still could have been effective without such things, but folklore throughout the world has unrealistic aspects, so why not this story? Are there problems with the story? Yeah, but just let yourself be immersed. Later you can ponder some of the more obvious questions you'll have, but they shouldn't ruin your viewing experience.

I enjoyed it a lot.

By the way, the director has stated that he has no plans for a prequel ("I do not want to make that movie") and none for a sequel either. Eventually, some studio will buy the rights and make a sequel based on a single line uttered in the movie. I don't think I want that. Just let this movie stand on its own.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by GORDON »

I liked it. Different and well made. They captured the Detroit Blight Vibe pretty well. Even when she was around other people.... it was still a blight.

The shitty cops struck home as well. If they had shown up the first time I called, my kid wouldn't have been hit by a car that day.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by GORDON »

So what 1-sided reviews have you seen? I spotted the following "messages:"

1. Fucking rental property owners listing on different sites, like AirBnB and X at the time, and double booking. That is a thing that happens.

2. Women are always in danger from men, always. And even when they're trying to be kind and polite that's just another red flag.

3. White businessmen are literal rapists. "She made me work for it, she said no at first but she came around."

4. Cops don't do their jobs. But at least in this movie they were actually responding to shots fired, and not just "quiet quitting" which is what the popular perception seems to be.

5. Detroit has serious blight problems.... but I don't think that's a message so much as a "look at this crazy shit."

And, I'm not sure the mutant at the end deserved a cap to the crown, but it certainly may have been self defense. I'd have liked to see the trope up-ended and her saved. And, consider this: where did the bottle of milk come from. Ew.
GORDON
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Took me a minute to realize the original woman had been trapped underground for at least a couple weeks before Hollywood White Male Rapist showed up. Property manager told them house hadn't been rented in a couple weeks, at first I thought that meant someone was intercepting emails and set them up with a false rental a couple days ago. But now I guess she was underground staying alive for 2-3 weeks, "Drink it! You don't want her upset, trust me!" eww.
Leisher
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Basically, the stuff I have seen is just "Women's lives are so tough. Woe is us."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by GORDON »

It was kind of amusing that

Woman and Pennywise loosen up for a minute and have the conversation about "If I had been first there's NO WAY I'd have let a random man in who said we had conflicting reservations. You men have it so easy, you can just go through life all tra la la" or however that went.

Which paid off when White Male Rapist found the spooky secret passage and rape room.... and immediately got excited and happy about additional square footage for his house listing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:50 pm It was kind of amusing that

Woman and Pennywise loosen up for a minute and have the conversation about "If I had been first there's NO WAY I'd have let a random man in who said we had conflicting reservations. You men have it so easy, you can just go through life all tra la la" or however that went.

Which paid off when White Male Rapist found the spooky secret passage and rape room.... and immediately got excited and happy about additional square footage for his house listing.
That was pretty funny.
GORDON
Site Admin

Barbarian (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Best movie I've seen in a while.