Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

My wife wanted to go see it (says she really likes PWB :roll: ). I was prepared to hate it but instead it was just "meh."

A couple random thoughts:
- The de-aging wasn't actually that bad...maybe they should just make pure CGI Indy movies. Hell most of the movie looked like it was green-screen/CGI
- Lucas and Spielburg were magic...in their day. Raiders was great and Crusade was great (Temple...I mean, the opening sequence is awesome but I dunno, the rest is not my favorite), but just like with Star Wars, they should have stopped after three
- I actually kind of liked the "Young Indy" TV series when I watched it back in the 90s; I think that could have been a better way to keep the franchise alive than trying to shovel money into Harrison Ford's bank account.
- Why does every goddam movie have to be superheroes or sequels or race/sex-swapped remakes? Doesn't anybody have original ideas?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:09 pmPWB
Fan of Fleabag?
thibodeaux wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:09 pm Doesn't anybody have original ideas?
Sounds hard.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:19 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:09 pmPWB
Fan of Fleabag?
That and something about Eve or something idk. Do you listen when your wife talks about stuff?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:09 pm says she really likes PWB
One of the reviewers I like was in California watching and he said a woman sitting behind him said about PWB, "She's got a punchable face."

This latest box office disaster might have been the final straw for Kathleen Kennedy.

If true, it sounds like Dana Walden needs to be gone with her:
He continued, “We believe that Dana Walden is potentially in favor of Kennedy staying and in favor of this marketing be damned kind of approach where they say, ‘It was the commercials. It was the trailers. They did not do a good enough job explaining what this film was.'”
Yeah, the marketing is why Indy 5 failed.

I guess the marketing is why the last 8 (not counting Indy, which will add to this total) Disney feature releases have lost almost $1B... It can't possibly have anything to do with race/sex swapping, terrible stories, crappy CGI, and the disrespectful treatment of both beloved IPs and the audience, right?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There have been a lot of "last straws" for Kathleen Kennedy.

I wonder if Budweiser will be a lesson in "stop preaching at your market, just give them what they want and take their money."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:29 pm I wonder if Budweiser will be a lesson in "stop preaching at your market, just give them what they want and take their money."
The sports world is learning, but it'll probably take Hollywood longer because of their arrogance in believing themselves to be morally and intellectually superior to "the flyover states".

The NBA instituted a strict "no politics" message last year and ratings were up. The NHL abandoned plans for rainbow jerseys last month. FIFA opts out of rainbow armband for WWC.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:13 pm Do you listen when your wife talks about stuff?
Yes?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Gay.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I basically agree with Thib. I'll give it 2/4 stars... in a world where 1/4 is the bottom. It was just OK.

But the kids enjoyed it. Our youngest has only seen Last Crusade.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

This weekend I re-watched Raiders and Temple (might hit Crusade later). God, Temple is even worse than I remembered. Except for the opening sequence, it is just GLACIAL. And it went too far with the slapstick comedy, while also trying to be gross and suspenseful. The Dinner of Disgust in particular is just stupid. Short Round is annoying, and Kate Capshaw is just terrible; I think her dialog lines are nothing but "WILLIE: (screams)"

Meanwhile, Raiders still holds up. The action ebbs and flows without seeming to drag. The humor doesn't feel forced; besides the classic shooting-the-swordsman bit, there's also "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go." There's nothing in Temple to compare to that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It's funny, it's been observed recently that Indiana Jones's presence in that film didn't change the outcome of anything, but in reality the Nazis may never have found the Arc at all if Indy hadn't figure out where it was correctly.

Because THEY WERE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE lolololol.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It needed $750M at the box office to break even, and it's not going to get close.

Now, it's going to lose even more money. Frost River is suing Disney for using their products in the film without permission. The weird twist is that Disney is in bed with Frost River's competitor. What does it say when instead of using their products in the film, they use Frost River's?

The case seems pretty clear cut too. They did a really bad job of trying to disguise them.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:32 pm It's funny, it's been observed recently that Indiana Jones's presence in that film didn't change the outcome of anything, but in reality the Nazis may never have found the Arc at all if Indy hadn't figure out where it was correctly.

Because THEY WERE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE lolololol.
They would have got the real staff headpiece from Marion in Nepal and so they would have found the Ark.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ahhhhhh yes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

On the train that make a big deal of the first artifact being fake. And Jones says "Why is it fake when we're surrounded by so many real things?" And then... they never answer the question, right?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I watched it on Plex over a few days. I think I missed something.

From trailers it looked like they would be revisiting some of Indy's greatest hits from his past, and I heard Indy would die and the cunt woman would take his place and now we have a girl Indiana Jones like how audiences want. Was that just not an accurate impression at all? What I just saw nothing in the past got changed, and Indy was alive.

I call her "cunt woman" because I think that's slightly closer to the mark than "asshole woman." She was a terrible character, and I'm left wondering if this is what women filmmakers think a "strong, empowered woman" means. A completely shit person.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:15 pm I call her "cunt woman" because I think that's slightly closer to the mark than "asshole woman." She was a terrible character, and I'm left wondering if this is what women filmmakers think a "strong, empowered woman" means. A completely shit person.
"Yes, and you would be able to see how empowered and perfect she is if you weren't such a misogynist." - The women writing these dogshit characters.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I could tell she was being presented as being likable, but she was literally the biggest asshole I've seen in a movie in a while. I don't know if we were supposed to give her a pass because she was a girl, or what. But I'd have punched her in the face way more than once, if she'd done that shit to me.