Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Subtitles alert, although the movie is mostly in English.

A plot synopsis from IMDB:
An aging Chinese immigrant is swept up in an insane adventure, in which she alone can save the world by exploring other universes connecting with the lives she could have led.
I had heard this was a really good movie involving the multiverse theory. Yep, think Rick and Morty, but Rick is an aging Chinese woman that runs a laundromat and Morty is her kid. Also, Jerry is still a Jerry, but the best Jerry. Following? If so, you're doing great because this movie is confusing! Sticking with R&M, no portal guns, instead weird actions determine where you jump and I still don't really get how that worked in this film. It's like you here get the talents of them there, but they also do what you do? Like R&M there are ridiculous universes, but really only one is showcased here.

There are also moments of hilarity. There is one fight scene that is so ridiculous you wouldn't believe me if I typed it here.

Exceptional acting throughout, and yes, she is familiar because that's exactly who you think it is. See if you get that statement without looking at the IMDB page.

This is like R&M if it was done by an entitled and pretentious third year film student in France who happened to love kung fu.

Entertaining movie, but odd and long.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 pm This is like R&M if it was done by an entitled and pretentious third year film student in France who happened to love kung fu.
I think it's more like what Dr. Strange MoM wanted to be.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 pm There are also moments of hilarity. There is one fight scene that is so ridiculous you wouldn't believe me if I typed it here.
I know exactly which you're talking about. And I had more laughs in this film than I have in most actual comedy films.

It's clever, and complex, but ultimately meh. It's about daughters and mothers, and literally every bit of "sci fi" could be simply metaphor for the complexity of being a woman. I felt like an outsider, as I am neither mother nor daughter.

I guess I'm the goofy Jerry dad.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:19 pm I guess I'm the goofy Jerry dad.
Goofy Jerry dad was basically the hero.
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 pm There are also moments of hilarity. There is one fight scene that is so ridiculous you wouldn't believe me if I typed it here.
I did not see that coming when we chose to watch this movie with our 16 year old. My wife + I recognized the "award" earlier in the movie, not sure she did. But they sure spelled it out later.

I really enjoyed it. The ending was predictable, like most movies, but getting there was fun.
It's not me, it's someone else.