Creed III (2023)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by Leisher »

Hopefully this wraps up the franchise because this was nothing more than a rehash of Rocky 5 with a little Rocky III mixed into it. A weaker version of them too. I don't even know if I'd call this a boxing movie, but more a movie that had some boxing in it. The final fight has an artistic presentation to it that I really appreciate, but it just underscores what I just said.

Jordan and Majors are both awesome and really carry the movie. Although, the whole cast is excellent. Acting is not a weakness of this film.

The story just feels shallow. It follows every step you would think and there are no surprises or even tension. That's the biggest thing really. No tension is built like in all the previous Rocky and Creed movies.

And FYI, they 100% setup a new direction for the franchise.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by Leisher »

Almost forgot to mention, this film was sponsored by Hennessey and they let you know it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by GORDON »

In Rocky 3 it took the love of his life to snap him out of his fear/lack of confidence spiral. It was a very dramatic scene. Really illustrated how she was his soulmate.

In Creed 3 he just had to think for a few seconds about how he got up after being knocked down, a couple times. That moment was NOT earned.

I like how this movie avoided a couple tired, cliché tropes. I liked a few artistic choices made when two brothers squared off. All in all, the movie was ok. Maybe even slightly better than I thought it would be.

And I haven't seen a single Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding reference in reviews. Have people forgotten that?

This is more Rocky 3/4. I don't think I see any nods to 5, at all. And I've seen those movies at least 100 times each.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by Leisher »

In Rocky 5, Rocky was done. He retired. Same with Creed here. Both became mentors. Both pulled strings for the person that eventually betrays them. Both then have to put that person down.
GORDON
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by GORDON »

Rocky retired in every movie, 1-5. 6 was the big "Coming out of retirement" but then he retired at the end.

edit - well... maybe he didn't retire in 3. Mickey was setting him up with handpicked fighters, for the paydays. Then Clubber Lang came and rung his bell.
GORDON
Site Admin

Creed III (2023)

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:47 pm Both became mentors. Both pulled strings for the person that eventually betrays them.
I saw Creed 3 situation more as when Apollo Creed gave an unknown Rocky Balboa a shot at the title in Rocky 1, rather than being any kind of mentor. I can't think of a single bit of mentoring D gave.... Kang, aside from, "You have to work your way up/you can't just come out of nowhere and get a Shot."

The acting from Kang was good. Half way through my kid commented, "Too bad he blew up his own career."