Velma (HBO Max Show)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:32 pm Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?
I already know people who make internet comments are terrible.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:41 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:32 pm Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?
I already know people who make internet comments are terrible.
Case and point... :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:45 pm Case and point...
This isn't really the internet, but i mean, yeah.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

I've watched 6 episodes (all the released ones). The first one/two, I can see why people object. The 5th/6th are much more of what the show should have been, with a transitional 3rd/4th.

While 1/2 hit hard against the IP, 5/6 have leaned more into it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

That was funny.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

Seriously, shitting on an established IP that you have to use to get any attention at all for your show is pretty much the lowest form of art out there. It is also a giant red flag to let people know that not only are you devoid of creative ideas, but you're a cunt as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:58 pm Seriously, shitting on an established IP that you have to use to get any attention at all for your show is pretty much the lowest form of art out there. It is also a giant red flag to let people know that not only are you devoid of creative ideas, but you're a cunt as well.
How is this shitting? This is "They wouldn't let us use the character in the show, so we're surreptitiously using the character in the show"
Seriously #Velma
F*ck You
Maybe Anthony needs a safe space.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:20 pm How is this shitting? This is "They wouldn't let us use the character in the show, so we're surreptitiously using the character in the show"
How about not putting him in at all if you don't have the rights? Nope, instead we have to take yet another shot at the IP. FYI, the "we don't have the rights" is a story that has been changing since the show came out. Either Kaling or the show runner originally said they didn't want to include the dog for other reasons. Now it's "we don't have the rights". Remember, they made Scooby a black woman, so SOME rights existed...

Your constant defense of a show that is universally being panned by progressives, conservatives, and basically every other person on Earth is weird. You know that Kaling won't fuck you for defending the show right? She WILL fuck you because you're white though.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:48 pm How about not putting him in at all if you don't have the rights? Nope, instead we have to take yet another shot at the IP.
How is it a shot?
Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:48 pm Remember, they made Scooby a black woman, so SOME rights existed...
What?
Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:48 pm Your constant defense of a show that is universally being panned by progressives, conservatives, and basically every other person on Earth is weird. You know that Kaling won't fuck you for defending the show right? She WILL fuck you because you're white though.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I have standards.

I'm not defending the show, per se, I just think most people's arguments against the show are garbage. It's whiny titty baby stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by GORDON »

As someone said, "When you've managed to piss of republicans AND democrats, you've really fucked up."

I don't think this had to be scooby doo. She could have made a "white males are stupid and evil" show without an established IP.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Alright, I finished it. Is it good? No. Is it better than whiny internet critics say? Of course. Is it respectful of the original IP? Maybe, depends on your view. Some people get their panties in a twist about every little thing. Does this show love the original IP? Yes, quite clearly. Many nods, along with nods to other shows that have come + gone in similar genres over the past 40 years. It seemed to have several references to Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, which I thought was bad when I tried to watch with my children (but 98% fresh on RT).

They tried something new, it didn't work. But, imho, every reboot since the original has failed, too. And, let's face it, I've never watched the original since I was a kid.

Does it seem odd to anyone that Mindy Kaling is getting the shit for this show (yes, she's an executive producer), but Charlie Grandy (developer, creator, executive producer, and writer) is getting nothing?
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:05 pm Does this show love the original IP? Yes, quite clearly.
They may indeed love it, but people who beat their spouses love them too.
TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:05 pm Does it seem odd to anyone that Mindy Kaling is getting the shit for this show (yes, she's an executive producer), but Charlie Grandy (developer, creator, executive producer, and writer) is getting nothing?
If you and Jennifer Lopez release your sex tapes on the same day, nobody will be talking about you. Nobody knows who you are. Same with Charlie Grandy. Meanwhile, Mindy was the face of the show. The vast majority of stuff I have seen bashing the show says "writers", "creators", or something like that. Kaling is rarely mentioned by name except in the MSM.
GORDON
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by GORDON »

I'm sure they consider getting picked up for a second season to be a great victory.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:12 pm The vast majority of stuff I have seen bashing the show says "writers", "creators", or something like that. Kaling is rarely mentioned by name except in the MSM.
I refer you back to here.
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:12 pm They may indeed love it, but people who beat their spouses love them too.
:roll:
GORDON
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by GORDON »

"I love it. But it needs to be fixed and made better for MODERN AUDIENCES."
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:43 pm I refer you back to here.
50% rate there, but that was only representative of what one person, me, posted. I stand by my original statement.
GORDON wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm "I love it. But it needs to be fixed and made better for MODERN AUDIENCES."
Modern audiences being the exact same fucking audiences as those that watched the original show. The only differences are a percentage point here or there and woke horseshit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:43 pm 50% rate there, but that was only representative of what one person, me, posted. I stand by my original statement.
Way more on reddit/twitter.
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:43 pm Modern audiences being the exact same fucking audiences as those that watched the original show. The only differences are a percentage point here or there and woke horseshit.
We're not 8 any more, it's been decades, I have no issues with modernization. The humour needed upgrading. The plots, etc. The US isn't 88% white any more.

Although, the Duck Tales reboot was actually pretty decent. It's the only reboot I can think of TV-wise that worked. Does The Office count? I don't count it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:48 pm Way more on reddit/twitter.
And way more on reddit/twitter without her name. Until you count them all and give me actual percentages, it's all opinion. And again, nobody knows any of the no names on the writing staff, but they all know the celebrity that was intentionally marketed as the face of the show. Do you want to complain about how wet water is?
TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:48 pm We're not 8 any more, it's been decades, I have no issues with modernization. The humour needed upgrading. The plots, etc. The US isn't 88% white any more.
You're right, we're not 8 anymore. But here's a modern show with modern humor doing "white guys are rich, stupid, have tiny dicks, and are basically Hitler" jokes. All the characters secretly love the chubby, narcissist Indian girl because "modernization"! We all know that men really want the fat girls, not the attractive, fit ones. Ditto for women, who are all closeted lesbians. How edgy and adult!

Cast in the 80s versus white population: 2 white guys, 2 white girls and 1 dog vs. 88% (your number)
Cast in 2023 versus white population: 1 white guy, 1 Indian woman, 1 Asian woman, 1 Black guy, 1 Black girl, dead dog vs. 75%

That's not modernization, it's a woke agenda.
thibodeaux

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by thibodeaux »

Honest trailers is not amused