Velma (HBO Max Show)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

Velma officially a lesbian, although that may not be reflected in this show.

Velma is clearly no longer white here. Bonus: Shaggy is black.

1.8M views. 20K+ likes. # of dislikes hidden... (Last screenshot before they were hidden was over 200K dislikes.)

Mindy Kaling cannot understand why there's been negative reception to this, and I'm pretty sure she just had another "woke" project that suffered a similar fate.

Here's an unoriginal thought: Stop changing the sexuality and skin color of existing characters and make your own! Using the least popular character from an existing IP wasn't going to get you an audience. It was only going to piss people off.

I'm sure HBO Max dumping 25 animated series and firing 100 workers has nothing to do with the poor reception of woke projects...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by GORDON »

Maybe these kids should hold their breath until everyone starts seeing their reality, instead of the reality we all already live in.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:31 pmShaggy is black.
Yes.

Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

I laughed.

Also, saw a black YouTuber discussed these woke films and how they were an obvious overreaction to the country in 2020. He said that he thinks we might be seeing the end of them soon because what we're currently seeing is stuff that's been in the works for years. Point being, Hollywood has already corrected course, but the projects aren't caught up yet.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

A small sampling of Twitter's reaction to the Velma series...

Tell me this isn't the most accurate meme about Hollywood today:

Look at that ratio. Holy shit. And that lead to this tweet with comments disabled. Ha!
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

I watched the first episode only. It was definitely trying to find its footing, wherever that might be. Not nearly as "outrageous" as people say.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

I think depicting Fred as Adolf Hitler says pretty much all I need to know.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 pm I think depicting Fred as Adolf Hitler says pretty much all I need to know.
Fred as Adolf? Wtf show is that?
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

These are legit screen shots and quotes from Velma. The fourth one is Fred as Hitler. The actual animated clip can be seen in the Critical Drinker's video posted above.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

The Hitler joke was actually funny.

I thought you meant he was being portrayed as Hitler throughout the series.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:44 am I thought you meant he was being portrayed as Hitler throughout the series.
No sir. By all accounts he is portrayed as entitled, selfish, and profoundly stupid because he's a white male.

I think making the white guy the butt of all your jokes and doing the Hitler gag on him is pretty cliché at this point. It's been done to death, and it's very honestly racist. I'm not supporting any products that openly hate me because of the color of my skin.

You should really watch Critical Drinker's video. It's a genuinely good breakdown of what Velma says about society and where creativity is in Hollywood versus what the original Scooby Doo series was about.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:29 am It's a genuinely good breakdown of what Velma says about society and where creativity is in Hollywood versus what the original Scooby Doo series was about.
"Slightly different kinds of white people can fix things"
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:15 pm "Slightly different kinds of white people can fix things"
That was a great line.

It's absolutely hilarious that left wing Twitter is bashing Mindy and Velma over her self-loathing, her love of white men, and calling her a white supremacist. Meanwhile, right wing Twitter is bashing Mindy and Velma for being overtly racist, destroying an IP, and simply not funny.
thibodeaux

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by thibodeaux »

Mindy's Mayo Fever is a long-standing problem
Mindy Kaling Only Makes Out With White Guys on The Mindy Project (PublishedMay 14, 2013)
Mindy Kaling has said that she has a thing for blond men; "I have taste in men like an adolescent girl," she told Us Magazine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

2 episodes out of 10 have been released, I think it's too early to judge.
GORDON
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by GORDON »

Yeah it's prolly awesome.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

Breaking records!

I doubt HBO Max will brag about this record it broke though...

I remember that insulting pile of shit that was Godzilla (1999) made $100M on the first day and promptly shit the bed once word got out about how bad it was and disrespectful of the IP. I'm betting Velma's viewership takes the same dive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by TheCatt »

It reminded me a lot of Drawn Together in some ways.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

HBO is still trying to promote Velma, but notice comments are disabled. Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?