Bros (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by Leisher »

First gay romcom is a massive flop debuting with a $4.8M gross.

Guess who is getting the blame?

Straight people.

Guess what? Straight people might not be into watching a love story between gay guys, and you know what, that's ok! Accepting gay folks doesn't mean you have to go buy a ticket to movies for them.

This person says LGBQT+ folks didn't show up either and lists other reasons for the flop.

Not sure I agree that LGBQT+ folks didn't show up. I think the population of actual LGBQT+ people is grossly overestimated currently, so who's to say if they showed or didn't?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by GORDON »

You know how some people find a straight couple love scene appealing, if the girl is hot and the guy is hardly seen? I have the opposite reaction to two men in a love scene. I find it icky in the same way I find hot girls appealing. And I don't think that's something I need to apologize for..... the entire basis of the homosexual revolution in society is "you can't help what you like."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

There's like 1-2% of people who are gay. If they showed up proportionally, then that's like a $100-$400M opening relative to straight people.

I'm not actively repulsed by gay people kissing (but I used to be). But it just leaves me completely flat. I'd much rather see a hot woman making out with some random dude, cuz then I'm at least seeing a hot woman.

Make a lesbian romcom, and I bet more people would watch it* :)

* - Assuming at least somewhat attractive lesbians.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by Leisher »

I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. Not because I hate gay people, but because I hate Westerns. It takes a special one to get my attention. Two guys banging isn't going to do that.

That being said, I loved The Birdcage.

This being a Judd Apatow movie, I have some interest. I will watch it at some point despite the premise being unappealing and unrelatable to me personally (sorry Cake!), but I wouldn't spend money or go to the theater to see it.

Point being, straight people skipping it is, more than likely, less about hate and more about the concept simply not being something they feel they need to head to the theaters to see. I'll bet it gets a lot more play when it's streaming on a service.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:32 pm Make a lesbian romcom, and I bet more people would watch it*

* - Assuming at least somewhat attractive lesbians.
Remove woke or anti-man messaging and I'll bet you're right. Black Swan made $329M.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Blue is the Warmest Color made $20m on a $4m budget.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 pm This being a Judd Apatow movie, I have some interest.
He's a producer on this, not director or writer.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:01 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 pm This being a Judd Apatow movie, I have some interest.
He's a producer on this, not director or writer.
Well, that definitely lowers my interest.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bros (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Disclaimer: I have LGBQT+ relatives (the first four letters) and kids who are in the theater. I also know a lot of Marines, so I'm used to being around gay folk.

A very competently made film. I wanted to start there because this is not an indy film where you have to overlook bad acting, direction, lighting, and so on. Everything is top notch and well done.

The acting is mostly good, but there are elements of "this person is just here for jokes" or something in that vein. They're not often, but they do rip you out of the story when they occur.

It's also important to note that they really steered clear of flamboyantly gay people. There are more "dude" gay guys in this film than any other movie ever.

The actual main plot line between the leads is truly excellent. Very nuanced and deep for any RomCom. It wasn't just superficial BS or a fish out of water story.

For those curious, there are 5 sex scenes. Mostly a lot of topless kissing and sounds/gestures implying other things are taking place. Honestly, the men of the human species don't really come off awesome here based on societal standards. You ever hear how a woman acts as a filter for all the sick shit a guy would do sexually without one? That's sort of in play, but not in a gross way. Nobody is doing anything totally deviant on screen or even off, but the attitude towards sex is...more open than you normally see, if that makes sense?

My biggest criticism is that it's simply not a funny film, even for a RomCom. Zero belly laughs from me, but there were three things that made me mildly chuckle. One was a lesbian's line, one was about Eugene Levy, and I forget the other one. The humor just isn't there, and if I'm being really honest, I think everything in the film about lesbians was actually a shot at them. You know, laughing at, not with?

Oh, and I should mention the most criticized thing that I do agree with: Billy Eichner, the writer and star, is very unlikeable. Kudos to him for essentially playing himself, as that is brave, but it also leaves you open to negativity. He definitely deserves it here. He like Eric McCormack's character in Will and Grace, but even more unpleasant. He just comes off as bitter and miserable. That's not a shot at gay folks, just him.

One thing I didn't like was a subplot of who was LGBQT+ throughout history. Obviously they existed, that's not the issue. It was guessing who was based on little evidence and I don't think it's fair. Those people are long dead and cannot approve or deny any such claims. I get why it would be important, but I can also imagine that if the accusations are wrong, that would be damaging as well.

Overall, a very solid RomCom that's pretty light on the comedy, but strong on the story and characters.