Whiplash

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Whiplash (2014)

Post by Leisher »

Miles Teller and JK Simmons star in this film about a drummer and his teacher.

When this film ended I literally had this thought: "I loved it, yet didn't like it. I would watch it again."

The performances are fucking off the charts. Everyone brings their best efforts.

The story breaks down into two paths and I love how Miles' efforts are shown. I don't want to ruin anything, but damn do they hammer home what it takes to be great at something. The other path is the outside influence (JK's part).

That's where I felt a bit cheated. I wanted more of that relationship. Yes, the film is based on it, but I still felt like they didn't show it enough.

That leads me to my biggest complaint: The story takes a turn around 75% of the way through, and I didn't care for it. I feel like that moment robbed me of seeing more of the JK/Miles relationship. The ending gets us back to that point, but I felt like they made a mistake in the plot at that turning point. They should have stayed the course.

Highly recommended film, but be aware that it's a drama and they play jazz. The acting is worth the price of admission.

I've been a huge JK Simmons fan since his portrayal of J. Jonah Jamison, and then Cave Johnson, but this made me an even bigger fan.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

For some reason I can't stop thinking about this movie. I want to see it again.

When's the last time I said that about a character drama?

I don't even give a shit about jazz or drumming, but the acting is that good.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Whiplash

Post by GORDON »

Cave Johnson plays a drill-instructor-level-abuse jazz teacher at a new york music conservatory (college? idk).

This is a jazz movie and I don't like jazz, but i like sports movies so i figured I might like this too since I tend to like music biopics and stuff even if I don't care for the genre.

It was ok.

I knew exactly what the instructor style was, and I generally approve of that type of teaching method, but even then I was wondering if he was crossing that line.

The final "battle" was as intense as a Rocky fight.

It was funny because in one part the kid had to improvise, and I legit didn't know if he did a good job or not even though the audience reaction was clearly "no, that sucked." I just can't hear jazz. No idea what's good.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."