The Woman King (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by Leisher »

"Based on a true story" that does not hide its very woke bias.

Here's the synopsis:
The Woman King is the remarkable story of the Agojie, the all-female unit of warriors who protected the African Kingdom of Dahomey in the 1800s with skills and a fierceness unlike anything the world has ever seen. Inspired by true events, The Woman King follows the emotionally epic journey of General Nanisca (Oscar®-winner Viola Davis) as she trains the next generation of recruits and readies them for battle against an enemy determined to destroy their way of life. Some things are worth fighting for…
How many idiots are going to see this movie and think this is the real story of Dahomey?

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

The Woman King (2022)

Post by thibodeaux »

Kind of racist to name the Black country "Da Homey"
GORDON
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Dahomey was near Dahood.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by Leisher »

I just love the "Some things are worth fighting for..."

I'm betting the movie won't mention how Dahomey was rich thanks to the slave trade and them wanting to continue it while the honkeys were shutting it down is the real adversity that Dahomey faced.

Or how there's no historical record of this fighting force ever winning any sort of real battle, but they did get absolutely curb stomped by the French.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Review

Being honest, I won't trust a single review of this movie, except maybe the Critical Drinker's. Nobody in the MSM is going to dare give this a bad review for fear of being called racist. Currently sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes... As a black YouTuber I follow, Tyrone Magnus, discussed with Black Panther, "It was a good movie, but it wasn't that good." I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point.

Also...

Headline:
'The Woman King' builds an action spectacle around its true story of female warriors
First sentence:
Although "inspired by true events," "The Woman King" clearly isn't tethered to them, using the underlying story of 19th-century female warriors in an African kingdom as the jumping-off point for a rousing action vehicle, augmented by plenty of melodrama.
Props for pointing out immediately that the movie is NOT reality, but the headline, which is unfortunately where most people stop reading, is problematic.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by GORDON »

300 was a documentary, too.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by Leisher »

300 was actually very faithful to the source material. That source material being a graphic novel by Frank Miller. :D

I'd actually be curious about the historical accuracies of 300 vs this movie side by side. Shit, I'd like an entire list of them. I'm certain such a thing exists on the internet.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Woman King (2022)

Post by GORDON »

As long as one race is being told over and over that another race is their enemy, money will be made and everything will be great.
Troy

The Woman King (2022)

Post by Troy »

Enjoyed it. Didn’t think it was incredibly woke about anything except having a pretty anti slavery vibe. Which uh… isn’t too hard to pull off without being preachy. The ladies were a warrior class, tough but not invincible, swords and muskets worked as well against them as anyone else. Relied on acrobatics and movement instead of strength in fights. I liked it.
Troy

The Woman King (2022)

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:00 am
I'm betting the movie won't mention how Dahomey was rich thanks to the slave trade and them wanting to continue it while the honkeys were shutting it down is the real adversity that Dahomey faced.
Mentioned a bunch, but in like a “we learned our lesson and won’t trade people for guns ever again” which they come to … eventually.

Which might have led to getting their asses kicked by the French in a theoretical part 2 film. That one WON’T be getting made.