Nope

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Nope (2022)

Post by GORDON »

GF and I caught the trailer at the opening of The Batman. It's a Jordan Peele movie, and the trailer makes it look like a black family is being terrorized by aliens.

Turned to my GF and quietly asked, "How is Jordan Peele going to make sure the aliens are just white people?"

She didn't get it.

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Nope

Post by Leisher »

I've seen people calling him the new M. Night because he had one good film and the rest are overhyped with some twist that's supposed to blow people away and usually fails to deliver.

To be fair, he's only made two films. However, if this one does follow that formula...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Nope (2022)

Post by GORDON »

A while back he was quoted as having no interest in Game of Thrones, because "It's all white people and I've seen that show before."

Plus Cake said he had a bunch of anti-white shit in that twilight one show he made.
Leisher
Site Admin

Nope (2022)

Post by Leisher »

So, why marry a white woman then?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Nope (2022)

Post by GORDON »

I was told by a black person that marrying a white woman was kind of like an XBox achievement.
Troy

Nope

Post by Troy »

Worth a view on a big screen. Not a perfect movie but it was good, very original and unique. Will be worth discussing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Nope

Post by Leisher »

Starting with the most interesting part of this movie first: The cinematographer, in the movie, looked familiar to me. Looked him up and I was right about who he was. Anyone else recognize and correctly name him?

It was ok. Slow and there are flaws as Troy said. Pretty massive flaws actually.

The symbolism and messaging isn't very subtle, but that's fine. While it is from the perspective of people of color, the main message is one that applies to anyone. The cast is also more diverse than in Peele's previous films. Not that he didn't have non-black folks in his other films, but this time black, white, Asian, and Hispanic are all...how do I put this without spoiling anything...the same?

I highly recommend going into this by avoiding all spoilers. Trust me that the twist will take care of itself soon enough, but not knowing will help you enjoy the setup and first half of the movie more.

Nowhere near as good as Get Out, but much better than Them.
thibodeaux

Nope

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:11 pm So, why marry a white woman then?
His wife probably turned him anti-white
GORDON
Site Admin

Nope

Post by GORDON »

It wasn't the movie I expected.

We had to turn on subtitles because at some points we just couldn't understand the black dialect of english.
thibodeaux

Nope

Post by thibodeaux »

You don't speak Jive?
GORDON
Site Admin

Nope

Post by GORDON »

Sheeeeit. (Golly!)

Give me a break. I'm not June Cleaver.