Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Writers admit emasculating the leading men in this film, but swear it wasn't for "wokeness".

To be fair, I like the bard not being on the front lines. Bards don't scream "bad ass". No idea what class the other guy(s) play?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GIRL BOSS(es)

This movie will probably be hugely popular with teenage girls because of that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:06 pm This movie will probably be hugely popular with teenage girls because of that.
D&D is HUGE with teenage girls. Tickets will probably sell faster than Taylor Swift's Eras tour.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Nothing says "D&D" like a Led Zeppelin soundtrack.

That was sarcasm btw. D&D goes best with METAL

\m/ (> _ <) \m/
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Drinker didn't hate it. I'm still not planning to watch it. Maybe I'll watch the pitch meeting or honest trailer
Troy

Post by Troy »

Movie was super good, fwiw. So many inside jokes about how D&D parties solve problems, or don't.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:02 pm Writers admit emasculating the leading men in this film, but swear it wasn't for "wokeness".

To be fair, I like the bard not being on the front lines. Bards don't scream "bad ass". No idea what class the other guy(s) play?

Chris Pine - Bard, planner, not a fighter
Justice Smith - Sorcerer, a little effeminate and not sure of himself, the whole point is that his love interest left him because he's a little bitch and requires character growth to get another chance with her.
Regé-Jean Page - Paladin, dry and manly as fuck, barely gives a shit about the party, in a funny way
Hugh Grant - thief that used to be part of the team, nails his role effortlessly

The women:
Michelle Rodriguez - Barbarian, badass, but not in a girl power way (just a barbarian way) has a thing for super short halfings (the scene where she awkwardly drops in on her tiny ex is hilarious - it's Bradley fucking Cooper)
Sophia Lillis - little 1/2 tiefling cutie Druid who can turn into a not-5e-legal Owlbear, wants a real, confident man so dumped sorcerer above.
Daisy Head - Red Wizard baddy, scary

Damn this movie was fucking good. Want to see again. Some really good moments where I had flashbacks as a DM - the party fucking up a very complex puzzle and it getting near instantly skipped by them suddenly "discovering" magic item has major DM "this session ends soon let's GOOO" vibes all over it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It was ok. I'd even say cute. I kept calling out actual D&D spells and creatures and things as they appeared on screen, which my kid loved.

Also, none of you mentioned it, and I haven't heard it referenced anywhere else (yet), but one of the groups in the Tournament of Death (or whatever) was
the D&D group from the 80s cartoon "Dungeons and Dragons." I recognized them immediately even as they popped out of the ground in the distance. I was calling them out by name as they did things ("Bobby the Barbarian!"). I was waiting for the sawed-off "Dungeon Master" to make an appearance, or possible Venger.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I was entertained. I think this movie properly used actual D&D creatures, items, etc. better than any other movie. Loved hearing so many places that I've visited via PC or a DM. I just needed Troy describing settings and Stranger shoving gems into his eyes sockets...

Good performances, good script, it wasn't woke (the writers were telling the truth), and so on.

The D&D franchise honestly lends itself perfectly to movies. They could roll out as many or as few as they want and they don't need the same people. They can roll out new settings, characters, etc. anytime they want.

I would watch it again, and would be up for a sequel.

Oh, and Gordon, it was the paladin's distinct suit of armor that caught my eye first.