Lightyear (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Lightyear (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Bombs.

"Why" is a hot topic on the interwebs today.

Take your pick:
-It was "woke". There's apparently a lesbian kiss (and I think they have a baby during the course of the movie?) and Chris Evans said during the lead up to the film that anyone that disagrees with such things will soon be extinct, which right or not, isn't a wide business move. The lesbian kiss also got it banned in 16 countries, which would obviously affect the box office.
-Chris Evans voiced Buzz instead of Tim Allen. (This is getting the majority of the attention, which is shocking.)
-It had nothing to do with any other Toy Story stuff.
-It was very poorly advertised.

I personally think it was not using Allen and piss poor advertising.

When you go away from OG voices in animation, it tells the audience this will be subpar garbage. Even if you grab an A lister.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Lightyear (2022)

Post by Cakedaddy »

Just watched it. The lesbian stuff was no big deal. Sure, when he first asked her "What's her name?" I kind of rolled my eyes, but was over it pretty quick as they don't drive the point hard. I missed the kiss. Maybe it was taken out? Like I said. They don't really drive the gay agenda. It's less than 2 minutes of the entire film, in small doses a few seconds long each. It's very much in the background.

The movie opens with "In 1995, Andy got a Buzz Lightyear figure which was from his favorite movie. It was Andy's 'Star Wars'. This is that movie."

So, ya, it didn't have anything to do with the Toy Story stories, other than being a movie that was in that universe. As soon as that premise was set, watching the movie was pretty easy. It shouldn't have Andy, Woody, etc.

Chris Evans did an excellent Buzz Lightyear. It was not distracting at all that it wasn't Allen. Evans did a really good Allen impression for the roll.

The biggest problems I had was:

******* If you plan to watch DON'T open the spoiler yet. *******

Zurg was Buzz Lightyear, not his father. There was a time travel element that put 2 lightyears in the same time line. Zurg was supposed to be his father, based on the Toy Story precedence.

The 'movie Buzz' learned all the same lessons the 'Toy Story Buzz' learned in the first Toy Story. Dependence on others. You don't have to go it alone. It's ok to fail/make mistakes. Etc. But on further reflection, maybe that's not a bad thing? I thought they were just copying the story, but, maybe all of the Buzz toys have to learn that lesson, just like the one in the movie? Cause they are the 'same'?

I think the movie was hurt by people setting expectations for it, instead of just accepting it for what it was. It wasn't a reboot, ignoring the previous movies, etc. It was just another part of the universe that was pretty well done.