Upload - Prime Video

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Upload - Prime Video

Post by GORDON »

This is a near-future scifi show that ripped off a Black Mirror episode San Cupertino, in which a person's consciousness can be uploaded into an AI "heaven" at the moment of their death.

If they can afford it.

But this is a black comedy disguised as a light comedy. The main guy is a playah, more or less, and the woman he wasn't really crazy about pays for his afterlife and now he has to be nice to her and act grateful. And she's a real piece of work.

But here's a thing that has struck me.... I'll spoiler this, but it isn't really relevant to the plot at all, just details you wouldn't glean from a trailer:

This show intends to be a "sex positive" kind of situation, but in my opinion, it's the opposite. The woman characters are shown freely enjoying anonymous sex on tinder, but here's the thing..... the main woman isn't really enjoying it.

So she is falling for a guy, but there's a slight communication, so she bangs an anonymous stranger to sooth her hurt feelings. Then the next day she see's how she misunderstood the previous situation, and all is well for a minute, then she witnesses a thing out of context and her feelings are hurt again so she fucks a different anonymous stranger and it makes her feel worse, more or less. But this is all portrayed as a positive thing. Happens at least 3 times in 2 short seasons, as she is falling in love with someone else. Fucking the pain away, when all it would take is the slightest bit of conversation.

I dunno. Doesn't make anonymous sex seem all that fulfilling.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."