The Maze Runner (2014)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Maze Runner (2014)

Post by Leisher »

A mildly entertaining, but easily predicted and poorly written film. To be fair, this is for teens (I think?), and my tween daughter made me watch it with her. All I know is that I was shredding every inconsistency in the plot and dialogue, and there were a LOT of opportunities for that.

The plot is that a teen, Thomas, gets sent via elevator to a "glade" where a bunch of other teenage boys are living. This glade is surrounded by super high walls that form a maze. The maze has dangers and patterned behaviors. This little society has three rules and everyone plays a role. The problem is if you put ANY time or effort thinking about it all you'll see how this whole thing was not thought out well at all. The plot is obviously much larger than just the kids in the middle of the maze, and you'll be pretty unhappy with that as well.

I assume this was a "me too" film/series created based upon the success of The Hunger Games? (Itself a ripoff of the far superior Battle Royale.)

I'm sure she's going to make me continue watching the whole trilogy. Stay tuned.

Again, mildly entertaining, but man this is lazy writing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Maze Runner (2014)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:57 pm I assume this was a "me too" film/series created based upon the success of The Hunger Games? (Itself a ripoff of the far superior Battle Royale.)
Both were originally books, and published around the same time (2008 - hunger games, 2009 - maze runner). The way publishing typically works, books are written one to three years before publishing. In fact, the Maze Runner was written 2005-2006.

I have no idea if the books are better, didn't read them.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Maze Runner (2014)

Post by Leisher »

I usually give books the benefit of the doubt, but the entire concept has MASSIVE logic holes, so I don't know in this case.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Maze Runner (2014)

Post by GORDON »

First was groan-worthy. After the second movie, I wiped my hands of it. Too stupid. My son tells me it just gets worse in the 3rd book, so neither one of us bothered with the 3rd movie.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."