Lawrence of Arabia

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
thibodeaux

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by thibodeaux »

Our young blond-haired, blue-eyed protagonist (abandoned in childhood by his father) encounters a robe-wearing Alec Guinness in the desert and joins a band of plucky rebels determined to take down an evil Empire. Aided his two comic-relief sidekicks and a roguish figure who's only in it for the money, the hero battles his inner demons and eventually destroys the enemy base.
GORDON
Site Admin

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by GORDON »

hey wait a minute....
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by thibodeaux »

I don't think it's a secret that George Lucas basically mashed-up a lot of ideas from the movies he grew up with. Everybody knows the plot is Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. The attack on the Death Star is pretty much any WWII air combat movie. Etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:02 pm I don't think it's a secret that George Lucas basically mashed-up a lot of ideas from the movies he grew up with. Everybody knows the plot is Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. The attack on the Death Star is pretty much any WWII air combat movie. Etc.
This combined with Samurai movies.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:34 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:02 pm I don't think it's a secret that George Lucas basically mashed-up a lot of ideas from the movies he grew up with. Everybody knows the plot is Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. The attack on the Death Star is pretty much any WWII air combat movie. Etc.
You mean like “Kurosawas hidden fortress?”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by TheCatt »

We watched The hidden Fortress during pandemic, pretty good.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by thibodeaux »

Back to LofA...also pretty good, imo*. Visually, VERY good. It's a loooong movie but it moves pretty well.

*I guess it's considered one of the TOP MOVIES EVER by movie nerds. I definitely liked it more than Citizen Kane (boring).
Leisher
Site Admin

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:09 am
Leisher wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:34 pm
You mean like “Kurosawas hidden fortress?”
Ha! Yes, I was sticking to the WWII air combat part of your quote.
thibodeaux wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:21 am *I guess it's considered one of the TOP MOVIES EVER by movie nerds. I definitely liked it more than Citizen Kane (boring).
Yes and fucking YES.

As Peter Griffin said, "It's his sled. There. I just saved you two long boring boobless hours."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Lawrence of Arabia

Post by thibodeaux »