Squid Game - Nflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:55 am I looked it up, the prize was about $30 million in real money.
I don't know if you intended it, but this legit made me laugh. "Real money". :lol:
GORDON wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:57 am Also, maybe 001 wasn't really handcuffed to the rope?
If this was a Marvel comic you would win a "No Prize" for that. It's when people would write in and fix continuity problems by explaining away things or detailing what happened "off screen".

Still, even if he wasn't handcuffed it would be difficult to get out of the way for a 90 year old man. Thinking about it, it'd be really hard for him to hold on as well.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

I'd also considered that "plot hole," and wondered if that's what was up
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

BTW, you think the creator sat around brooding for a year not spending the money this show made him? You think he's anti-capitalist now? (He's not.)

Someone made a North Korean version:
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 am Episode 6...dude...
JFC.

As soon as they
said teams of two, I knew what was coming. But I still wasn't ready for it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:28 am Loved this show, although I did not love the ending.

I get that he would be depressed, but he doesn't even bother trying to see his kid before going on his mission of revenge? He also waited a year to help the orphan and his buddy's mom?
Guess what - HE'S A SHITTY DAD
in case they didn't beat that home enough.

I love how happy 001 was playing the games.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:26 am
Also, if 001 wasn't willing to actually die, then why did he participate in the Tug of War game? It's easy to see how Red Light, Green Light could spare him or that he just wouldn't be killed if his cookie wasn't perfect, but he was legit in danger during tug of war.
Or was he? We'll never know since it didn't happen.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:03 pm
Also, if 001 wasn't willing to actually die, then why did he participate in the Tug of War game? It's easy to see how Red Light, Green Light could spare him or that he just wouldn't be killed if his cookie wasn't perfect, but he was legit in danger during tug of war.
Just remembered that he was also the person to send everyone home when they voted to quit. He was the deciding vote.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:02 am
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:03 pm
Just remembered that he was also the person to send everyone home when they voted to quit. He was the deciding vote.
He's also the one who convinced Gi-hun to come back to the game, right?
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:29 am
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:03 pm Or was he? We'll never know since it didn't happen.
Good point. Do you think he did that to all on the fence? But still, why go through with it at all? Was this some odd "give them a chance to walk away" thing? Or are we just winning "No Prizes" right now?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:45 am
Good point. Do you think he did that to all on the fence? But still, why go through with it at all? Was this some odd "give them a chance to walk away" thing? Or are we just winning "No Prizes" right now?
Well, they made it clear that participation should be voluntary, but no one really knew what they were getting into until after Game 1.
So now they had informed consent. It was important to him that people chose to play the games.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:47 am
Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:45 am
Well, they made it clear that participation should be voluntary, but no one really knew what they were getting into until after Game 1.
So now they had informed consent. It was important to him that people chose to play the games.
Like I said, we're winning "No Prizes" here filling in the logic holes of the plot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

I've never understood, is "No Prize" supposed to be an insult? Are you not allowed to speculate on anything that wasn't explicitly shown on screen?
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:54 am I've never understood, is "No Prize" supposed to be an insult? Are you not allowed to speculate on anything that wasn't explicitly shown on screen?
No sir. "No Prize" was a compliment and a thank you. I have explained before elsewhere, but I'm not going to try searching for it, so here is a refresher:
I don't know who was the creator of the No Prize, but it started at Marvel Comics while Stan Lee was there. So either him or one of the other writers. If there was a plot or logic hole in a storyline, a reader would sometimes write in and explain it away using canon. I assume because comics have a continuity that is essentially infinite, those plot holes can and did/do appear a lot. Thus, instead of sending out a real prize, which would get expensive and controversial as multiple people would write in at the same time over the same error (who gets the prize?), the "fix" and awarding of the "No Prize" would happen in the letters page. (Comics used to have them.) So the prize would be one of the writers/editors thanking you, declaring your letter to be canon, and then them saying you win a "No Prize".

Honestly, the "No Prize" deserves a much bigger status in pop culture because speculating on off screen action is what fans of all IP do constantly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

Creator confirms season 2.

I don't think I'm reaching when I predict that it's probably going to suck:
"I have a rough idea about it but I think it's too early to say when or how specifically. But I can promise you this -- Gi-hun will come back and he will do something for the world."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am I don't think I'm reaching when I predict that it's probably going to suck:
Let down potential here is huge. I would find it very hard for this show to have much surprise left.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

I mean, I'd be surprised if Gi-hun came back to kill all the people behind the Squid Games, then commercialized the idea himself, and made it a global property. That would be unexpected.

Should be fun to watch a guy who created this while feeling very anti-capitalist write a sequel now that he's enveloped in capitalism. Let's see how the message changes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

SO, you're saying that when they were discussing a new season, someone gave it a GREEN LIGHT.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

That's dad joke level, so I'm disgusted, but totally approve.
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

I made it up.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

You will not get any more kudos that what you have already received. Take the W and move on.