Squid Game - Nflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Korean series about people in the grips of poverty and their oppression by the rich.

I'm only 1 episode in.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

It's pretty popular atm
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:11 pm It's pretty popular atm
You watched it?
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

No. Everyone is talking about it the last 2-3 days, but until this post I didn't know what it was about
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:06 pm No. Everyone is talking about it the last 2-3 days, but until this post I didn't know what it was about
Well, the plot is a little different than I describe, but I didn't want to spoil anyone if they didn't know.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

I assumed it was a cartoon kid show
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

The lead from Train to Busan shows up in Ep 1.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

Oh that ethnic film?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

Episode 6...dude...
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

A new day and I'm still thinking about that episode. Awesome performances from all involved. Oh Yeong-su is an absolutely amazing actor. He's been so perfect throughout the show.

This was easily one of the most brutal, tough to watch episodes of any show ever made. It's the episode that really puts a stamp on the series. This was the flag in the ground. Brilliantly done.
Troy

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Troy »

At some point I need to take the plunge - the wife said it was intense and pretty good.

It's hella anticapitalistic though - right? That's the whole point? Wild that it's so popular in America.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:21 pm It's hella anticapitalistic though - right? That's the whole point? Wild that it's so popular in America.
Yes. A lot of America also thought Born in the USA was a very patriotic song, so...
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:21 pm It's hella anticapitalistic though - right? That's the whole point?
Indeed. Although that message is pretty flawed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

Loved this show, although I did not love the ending.

I get that he would be depressed, but he doesn't even bother trying to see his kid before going on his mission of revenge? He also waited a year to help the orphan and his buddy's mom?

GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

It was ok. Original, at least.
Leisher
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by Leisher »

Lebron agrees with me on the ending, but the show's creator responds in a funny and kind of petty way.

Yeah, it's your art, but it's also pretty flawed art. For example: Your overall theme of anti-capitalism is broken in multiple places. You don't have to take the criticism, but the criticism is more accurate than some of the things you put in your show.

Most human beings that are made into billionaires over night wouldn't sit on the money and live in poverty for a year, while ignoring their promise to friends whose deaths he can't get over, and then ignore his daughter who is one of the reasons he participated and needed the money in the first place. Also, if 001 wasn't willing to actually die, then why did he participate in the Tug of War game? It's easy to see how Red Light, Green Light could spare him or that he just wouldn't be killed if his cookie wasn't perfect, but he was legit in danger during tug of war.
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

I looked it up, the prize was about $30 million in real money.
GORDON
Site Admin

Squid Game - Nflix

Post by GORDON »

Also, maybe 001 wasn't really handcuffed to the rope?