Masters of the Universe: Revelation

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Post by Leisher »

I was never a Masters of the Universe fan, but this is all over Twitter, YouTube, and whatnot, so here we go. Full disclosure: I have not seen the show and don't plan to because I simply have no interest in the characters. This show was after my childhood, seemed really boring, and a lot gay (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Interestingly, this scandal has made me somewhat curious, but ultimately there are other things I'd rather watch. Even if I did succumb to curiosity, I certainly wouldn't tune in on Netflix and give them a rating for destroying an established property. Anyway, onto the news.

A Netflix series helmed by Kevin Smith. On a side note, super excited that Smith recently announced Clerks III. But then again...

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Kevin Smith used to be the rebel thumbing his nose at Hollywood. He would get movies made without traditional funding. Get movies distributed without traditional distribution methods. Then he established one of the first podcasting empires. It could be argued that he's the most successful indy filmmaker of all time. However, along the way he married a far, far, far left, man hating woman, had a daughter, watched his mentor get taken down from the mountain as a rapist, and then Smith died, literally.

Now he seems to be a shell of his former self and nothing more than a stooge for Hollywood suits. This was already something becoming evident during his Hollywood Babble-On podcast where he would constantly be the voice of positivity for everything Hollywood, while his co-host would shit on everything.

This new show is getting absolutely massacred by the fans, but is praised by critics. That should be the new "first sign" of wokeness infecting a show. The critics rating is at 95%, but the audience rating is at 36%, up four percentage points from where I saw it last.

Months ago someone or thing called ClownfishTV tweeted that this He-Man show would have very little He-Man and was really about Teela. Kevin Smith responded with, "our series is LITERALLY all about He-Man".

They kill He-Man and Skeletor right away. The show then becomes headlined by Teela and Evil Lyn (the female baddie that was second to Skeletor). Apparently, He-Man returns from the dead in another episode and is killed again within seconds. Smith claims Episode 7, there are only 5 out right now, is going to be packed to the gills with He-Man, implying he does return. I believe He-Man probably does eventually return, but Smith was clearly lying to fans. You can't have the main character removed from a 10 episode show for, at least, 6 of the episodes (and probably more) and then claim he (or she) is the central figure.

I mean can you imagine? That'd be like making 7 movies where one character is constantly pointed out as THE savior of a universe only to make him a villain in the 8th film. Fuck you Rian Johnson!

So yay! Yet another established franchise destroyed to make way for forced wokeness!

I'm ALL in favor of shows about strong female characters,

Here's where it gets really interesting though. Smith might have done some serious damage to Netflix in his defense.

Watch this from when it starts to 10:01. 33 seconds.

Watch this from when it starts to 14:58. 44 seconds.

I don't remember if it was uttered in those clips, but he says "They (Netflix) literally don't care" and someone pointed out in the comments that should be the new Netflix slogan. Ha!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”