Ava (2020)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ava (2020)

Post by Leisher »

Currently on Netflix.

Jessica Chastain is a killer for an unnamed organization. Her handler is John Malkovich and his protegee is Colin Farrell. Her mom is Geena Davis and her ex is Common. There are other familiar faces.

I don't want to get more into the story as it would be spoilers. I will say that while there is action, there's also a lot of drama. When you're a hired killer with active ties to your family, it's going to be a problem.

The acting is fine. Malkovich is always awesome and Farrell brings something extra to his role. The characters have depth, but the story is slightly plodding.

There are better films with this type of story, but this is an ok watch.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ava nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Skip it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ava nflix

Post by TheCatt »

Female assassin starts to wonder why she's killing the people she's killing, and things get complicated.

This movie is dumb, the action is OK, the plot is dumb, the acting is OK, the dialogue is dumb.
The film stars Jessica Chastain, John Malkovich, Common, Geena Davis, Colin Farrell, Ioan Gruffudd and Joan Chen.
Which I thought was a promising cast, but ugh.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 17% based on 35 reviews, with an average rating of 4.5/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Ava seems to have all the components of an entertaining spy thriller, but not even this spectacular cast is enough to salvage the dull, clichéd story they're given to work with."[26] On Metacritic, the film was assigned a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on nine critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".[27]
Yes. 100%, yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ava (2020)

Post by Leisher »

bump
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ava (2020)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:59 pmbump
The difficult part of needing four letters to search.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ava (2020)

Post by Leisher »

I knew I had reviewed it, so I searched for Malkovich.