Gunpowder Milkshake (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Long story short, someone saw John Wick and thought, "I'm going to make a female version".

"Girl power" to the max as Karen Gillan (Nebula) is the lead and is joined by Lena Headey, Carla Gugino (I wish she was my librarian), Michelle Yeoh, Joanna Bobin, and Angela Bassett in this underworld of assassins that is all female. All the baddies are men. Also, "The Firm", represented by Paul Giamatti, is the organization calling the shots and they're all old white men...get it? Is it too subtle!? Don't worry, it's not overly heavy with "down with the patriarchy" propaganda in the film. Although, I believe four of the five featured women were also lesbian lovers, so...?

Now if "girl power" is the real agenda, then it's very interesting that this movie is a complete rip off of John Wick. (Although, two white guys wrote and one of them directed this.)
-Interesting underworld of assassins? Check.
-Stylish violence? Check.
-Mob boss out to kill the assassin over his son? Check.
-A Continental style "safe zone"? Check.
-Star assassin getting "disavowed"? Check.
-A side character breaking the rules? Check.
-Star being saved by another assassin? Check.
-Puppy sparking the whole thing? Well no. Instead they went with an 8 year old girl who is very much alive.

The action is pretty cool sometimes because they don't make her overly tough or invincible, and in fact, she would have died more than once without help. However, the action is also pretty silly because there's so much hand to hand fighting. Maybe the crime boss had his budget cut during covid or something and couldn't afford to give all his troops guns? The constant dropping of weapons to fight hand to hand is laughable and really kills your immersion in the movie.

There's also far more humor in this than in John Wick. Not that the movie is funny. It's more cutesy humor.

It was entertaining, but nowhere near John Wick.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 pm There's also far more humor in this than in John Wick. Not that the movie is funny. It's more cutesy humor.

It was entertaining, but nowhere near John Wick.
Ditto.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A gunpowder milkshake would be terribly gritty.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."