Fear Street Trilogy (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

A small town is cursed, while its neighboring town is a utopia.

After the latest violent acts a vigil is held and the utopia people are disrespectful. This leads to a series of events that puts a group of teens in harm's way.

This is a horror movie but played like a teen romcom...kinda? The tone was odd. Sometimes like an episode of iCarly, sometimes serious. Very strange.

I was definitely bored at moments, but entertained during others.

I'll reserve total judgement until I get through the next two chapters.

---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter two was the best chapter. It was also the best horror film.

It gave me good flashbacks of Friday the 13th as it was set at a summer camp.

It also advanced the story in a strong way and was pretty fast paced.

---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter three was a good follow up, but they amped the sexual content. One guy sporting a visible boner and a girl goes down on another girl. It was an odd tonal shift. Not saying the movie was PG until this, but the whole trilogy is definitely PG-13 or light R.

The overall story was wrapped up nicely and logically for what it was, but they did a good job extending it through three movies without it getting totally boring.

I will say a huge flaw was that a few of the killers (yes killers) did not get time to shine and they might have been the creepiest.

Oh, and Chapter three is when I realized many of the same actors were in every chapter. I don't know how I missed that. Seriously. I don't know if they were done up in such a good way or that I just wasn't paying attention. That really added to the overall story too.

The credits scene is also exactly what you expect.

Overall, this was a nice little trilogy. I've seen much, much worse Netflix originals.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Bump as I just added the whole trilogy into this thread.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 pm I've seen much, much worse Netflix originals.
Is it a Netflix original if it's based on a book series? I guess so. But the "truly" original Netflix stuff has been consistently meh.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 am
Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 pm I've seen much, much worse Netflix originals.
Is it a Netflix original if it's based on a book series? I guess so. But the "truly" original Netflix stuff has been consistently meh.
I would consider movies and shows Netflix (or anyone) produces as "originals" and ones they just buy the rights to as "exclusives". Where it gets tricky is stuff like Black Mirror. That's a property they bought, but only the newest seasons can be considered "Netflix original".

I didn't know about the book series until I saw it mentioned in the credits during the credits scene.

Again, this isn't going to be something that sets the world on fire, but it's a much better effort than other Netflix originals.