Halloween Kills (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by GORDON »

I haven't seen any of them beyond #3, and I don't think I remember #2. Do these have a running story (not counting 3), or is it just "he escaped again and is killing people again" over and over?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Ok, here goes...

Halloween (1978) - Best horror movie ever.

Halloween II - Continues immediately from the first movie. It's the same night. Same cast and crew, but kind of a rush job. Not even close to the first. It does have a cool kill or two.

Halloween III - Someone bought the rights to the name for one movie and made a story that had NOTHING to do with the others. Terrible.

Halloween IV, V, and VI - A continuation from II, except years later and JLC is dead. A very nice attempt to create a real story for Michael. There's some dumb horror stuff, but some great kills and boobs. Really interesting cliffhanger ending to VI. In the opinion of many, these three were worthy sequels. Nowhere near the original, but solid horror films. Danielle Harris is introduced to the series. She grows up to be smoking hot and kind of takes JLC's "Scream Queen" crown, which she still wears today appearing in many horror movies, although mostly indy ones. (She did an episode of Psych where she was undeniably sexy AF.)

Halloween H20 - They ignore IV, V, and VI. Jamie Lee Curtis returns, but remember Friday the 13th 5? Same shit. It's not the real Michael Meyers. It's just her ex-husband. Terrible.

Halloween Resurrection - JLC exited again. A house party with Busta Rhymes and people online watching the kills. Not great.

Halloween (2007) - Rob Zombie takes the helm and reboots the franchise. Instead of Michael being a being of pure evil from a good home, he becomes a giant biker who came from an abusive home. Zombie was a huge fan of Halloween, but he was the wrong guy for this reboot. Michael is scary because of the unknown. His motive is never explained in the originals except that he's simply pure evil. Zombie is known for creating horror in the real world with real people. The two things just don't mesh.

Halloween II (2009) - The Zombie sequel. Seriously, these two movies really hurt him with the horror community. He had mad credibility until these two films.

Halloween (2018) - Enter Danny McBride, another huge fan of Halloween who didn't like Zombie's run. Sequel to the original 1978 film and ignores every thing else. JLC is back as Sarah Connors in T2 and it's 40 years later. The first half of it felt truer to the characters than the second half. However, Michael is back to being pure unadulterated evil and they prove that almost immediately. It's decent, but I felt the second half really hurt it.

Halloween Kills - Coming soon.

Halloween Ends - Apparently will be the end of this new trilogy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by GORDON »

So... I should rewatch the original, then the 2018 flick, then wait for the new one.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:01 am So... I should rewatch the original, then the 2018 flick, then wait for the new one.
That is an absolutely acceptable strategy for the new films.

Don't sleep on IV, V, and VI though. One of them has a scene and line that is super memorable and if it was not in a horror sequel would be iconic. I think about the line a few times every year. No shit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

This movie is an abomination. I think the full title should be "Halloween Kills the Franchise".

Just a complete mess of a film from start to finish.

I'll give director David Gordon Green the benefit of the doubt because I think he tried his best. The film didn't look terrible and there were some good shots. However, he does deserve blame for the performances. Jamie Lee Curtis, Will Patton, Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, and Anthony Michael Hall are good actors, but this is easily the worst career performance for each of them.

The real sin though is that fucking script. You're going to think the things I am about to type are being exaggerated to be funny or make a point. Nope.

Scott Teems is the writer here and you should know he also wrote ("story by", which implies someone else rewrote it or fleshed it out) The Exorcist (2023) and the upcoming Firestarter remake, so feel free to go into those knowing they're going to be awful. He simply does not understand the source material and makes Michael more of a Jason Voorhees type of character. There are so many writing choices made in this film that will boggle your mind. It is shit like this that really makes you question the decision making process in Hollywood. This is why people hate so much about the business. No respect is paid to the characters. Nothing happens that is even remotely what real people would do. I just simply do not have the words to express how monumentally disappointing this whole movie was from beginning to end.

Scott Teems is a talentless hack.

The dialogue is just laughably stupid. I've heard better dialogue in shows on Disney and Nickelodeon. Do you love long winded speeches about nothing? Then you are going to love this movie because it is filled with them.

Every character is about as dumb as humanly possible. It's amazing half don't die from forgetting to breathe. There is so much staggering stupidity that you can't help but laugh during the kills. There is simply no way you can truly understand how I'm underselling the stupidity of characters in this movie until you see it.

Half of the movie is spent examining either a political statement or a statement on the human experience and it's fucking terrible. It also has nothing to do with Michael Meyers. How bad is this part?
Legit half or more of the movie is spent at a location Meyers never goes near and on characters he never interacts with.

ON the bright side, Meyers is well acted (by three people...), the kills are pretty good, and I enjoyed Michael McDonald and Scott MacArthur's whole thing. (I will probably be in the minority on that. Yeah, they were dumb as fuck, but you could tell they had fun with the crap they were given.)

One of my 12 year old daughters summed up this movie perfectly: "This is so cringy that I feel bad for everyone in it."

An absolute embarrassment of a movie that nobody should ever have to see, but I cannot wait until someone else sees it so we can shit on it together.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:41 pm Half of the movie is spent examining either a political statement or a statement on the human experience and it's fucking terrible. It also has nothing to do with Michael Meyers. How bad is this part?
REAL LIFE IS THE TRUE HORROR... or something, I dunno.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

In the new movie Michael Meyers kills
men, women, children, white people, black people, elderly people, and gay people

So, of course,

Some of those HAVE to be sarcasm, but I hope all the serious ones immediately die of an aneurysm. That would be best for our species.
Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Reminder: This movie sucked.

Leisher
Site Admin

Halloween Kills (2021)

Post by Leisher »