Velma (HBO Max Show)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Leisher »

Velma will be East Asian.

Also played by Mindy Kaling, and will NOT feature the rest of the gang.

My first question is "Why?" I know folks are upset about yet another white character being re-imagined as a minority, but I couldn't care less about that here. Why can't Velma be East Asian? It's not like they're trying to make a Norse god black... :D

But seriously, why is this being made? Who is the audience for this show? Why does it have to be about Velma? I'm not asking as someone who cares about the character, but rather as someone interested in the business. Who do they think is out there dying to see a show about Velma?

It also raises another interesting dynamic that peeps aren't really talking about yet. You know all the black vs Asian racism that's been going on and their simmering hatred of one another since...forever? What do you think is going to happen when China becomes the world's largest market and Hollywood begins casting more to appease that audience instead of the U.S.'?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by Troy »

Did they actually audience test “spin-off of a character movie that doesn’t look like the original cast member?”

I was just reading something about woke versions of things doing poorly. This seems like a double risky step. When are the studios cool with that?

I do like Mindy though, her personality seems about right.
GORDON
Site Admin

Velma (HBO Max Show)

Post by GORDON »

Both velma and mindy kaling are short and frumpy. Brilliant casting.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."