Into the Badlands

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Into the Badlands

Post by GORDON »

On Netflix, an AMC show. My kid recommended I watch it.

Post apocalyptic something or other.... we don't know what happened, or how long ago, or what continent they're on, but season 3 has shown many hints of USA. There's dead cities and abandoned shit everywhere, but they still have running cars here and there.

Anyway, the "Badlands" is an area controlled by 7 Barons, each of which has a specialty, just like in Mad Max 4. This one is producing opium, that one has oil wells, etc. They had a détente but then an upstart started stirring shit in order to make a power grab, and it all quickly fell into chaos.

I've lost track on how many time this one makes an alliance with that one, and it lasts minutes to days before it falls apart. Then two episodes later they do it again.

Kung fu galore. That makes up for a lot of weaknesses, even though you have to wonder where all these kung fu masters are coming from.

Gore keeps ramping up every season. I'm 3 episodes in to S3, and I've had to look away twice already, for the first time.

Nick Frost appears in S2, and eventually becomes my fave character.

Just barely good enough to keep watching. There are currently 3 seasons on Netflix, each season has more episodes than the previous.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Into the Badlands

Post by GORDON »

1. The story is eh. The acting is eh.
2. Except suddenly, Nick Frost! He becomes my fave.
3. Gore, plenty.
4. This show has a bad case of, "Let's just assume the bad guy is dead now and walk away." Over and over. It's the only thing that keeps the story going.
5. Best thing I can say for the show is that there are long, extended kung-fu scenes in almost every episode. Time was spent in the choreography.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."