Audio Books

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by GORDON »

What do you guys use for audio books? I have a lot of driving in the near future and I'm wondering if an audio book, blutoothed over my truck speakers, would make the hours go faster.

I'd want to be able to pause the book and stuff. I've never used one before, have no frame of reference.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by Leisher »

I use Audible, who is owned by Amazon. It's a perfectly fine app that tracks your progress without losing your place. It also has decent controls for going back if you happen to daydream for a bit.

Plus, if you're an Amazon Prime member you get a book or a couple for free, maybe even monthly?

There's an app on the iTunes store, not sure if it's on Google's, that is called Audiobooks. It's a red icon with a white book opened up. You can buy recent releases through it, and it also has a giant library of free older books (think Moby Dick) and even old radio shows.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by GORDON »

Just installed audible. Will give it a try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by GORDON »

After action report: Success.

Blutooth worked, and the pause/play button on the head unit worked for when the kid or I had something to say.

I listened to "The Martian" (already read) on the way to GA and most of the way though Florida. He and I both listened to "The Forever War" (first for both of us) to Florida, and most of the way back to GA. Then I listened to World War Z (already read) on the way back to Ohio.

Books of that length seem to last 10ish hours.

It made the hours go by a lot faster than usual. 10 hour drive is less of an ordeal when you're deep into storytime the entire way. Even traffic jams are less frustrating.
Leisher
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by Leisher »

I've been thinking about doing WWZ via audio book (I've already read it). How was the narrator?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 am I've been thinking about doing WWZ via audio book (I've already read it). How was the narrator?
A+. Max Brooks himself is the "interviewer," and then they got some famous-ass people to narrate each story/chapter.
Narrated by: Max Brooks, Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob Reiner, Mark Hamill, Alfred Molina, Simon Pegg, Henry Rollins, Martin Scorsese
Leisher
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by Leisher »

Well, you just sold me. Downloading it now. It's been years since I read it and my copy disappeared (no idea who borrowed it and didn't return it). Looking forward to revisiting that world.
GORDON
Site Admin

Audio Books

Post by GORDON »

It's been about a decade since I last read it, so I got to enjoy some aspects I'd forgotten, over again.