Mortal Kombat (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Post by Leisher »

They released a clip of a fight with a fatality.

Am I crazy or does this look cartoonishly bad?

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Post by GORDON »

It released on HBO Max today, I believe. I'm waiting for some reviews. Apparently actors signed contracts for 5 films.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Post by Leisher »

It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it's not great. I feel like I just watched a movie from the 1980s, but with effects from today. The first 7 minutes are awesome and look beautiful. It really sets a tone that the rest of the film fails to live up to.

Do you know the story? If not, it's basically about a fighting tournament between Earth and Outerworld. If Earth loses 10 times in a row, Outerworld gets to invade Earth and enslave it. Earth has now lost 9 times in a row, but Outerworld is leaving nothing to chance and starts killing Earth's champions.

The lore is really flimsy, but if you know Mortal Kombat, you know that. The entire plot is really weak. It contradicts itself so many times. Why are there rules if nobody enforces them? Does Outerworld do this before every tournament? If so, why isn't Earth ready? How do you get a mark if you're so weak that regular people can easily kill you and take your mark? There's just so much dumb shit.

The fights range from acceptable to "this is kind of embarrassing", which shouldn't be the case in a world about the greatest fighters of two worlds fighting. The climatic fight you wait the whole movie for isn't satisfying either.

Oh, and that tournament?
You never see it and it never happens.

There are too many characters, so they all don't get a chance to shine. I really think if they're doing multiple films they needed to give this movie far more time. Why is it so hard for studios to learn what Marvel did and copy it? Treat an existing property with respect and you can draw in more than just the crowd that follows it! Nope... Most of the characters are completely two dimensional, so you never give a shit about them, and that includes the main character. Honestly, he's the worst part of the movie. I don't blame the actor, but the character just isn't written well. There are 15 characters, not counting the main character, from the game in the movie. Why don't I include the main character? Because he isn't in the games and was invented for this film, so there's that bit of stupidity. All those characters and you can't write a story about them? Hollywood gonna Hollywood...

The runtime is 110 minutes, including credits. 110 divided by 15 is 7.333 minutes per character, and again, doesn't include all the time the main character, his wife, and kid get. (Or the credits) So how deep do you think they get with all of these characters? Hint: Not very. I think I got more attached to the folks Deadpool parachuted with in Deadpool 2.

List of the characters in the film AND their fates:

-Kano is the most interesting and entertaining character in the movie. So, of course, he dies.
-Kabal's connection to Kano could have been explored, but alas, he's dead too. Cool fatality though.
-Reptile was completely wasted and really stupid. You're invisible! Just fucking kill people, don't toy with them!
-Kung Lao was done dirty. The most interesting good guy killed because Raiden couldn't interfere? But you already did with the forcefield! Plus, if the other team is actively breaking the rules with no punishment, why can't you!? Especially to save your fighters!
-Nitara is in the movie... I guess she was there for a laugh?
-Raiden came off as an inept leader.
-Scorpion was cool, but the guy who played him in the suit could clearly not move. The fight with Sub-Zero was painful to watch.
-Jax was lame. Your power is making your weak ass mechanical arms stronger? Get the fuck out of here.
-Sonja Blade had the most predictable story line. I also keep waiting for her to yell "Indy!". She looked just similar enough to what's her face...Spielberg's wife.
-Sub-Zero was the best character by far. Dude was awesome, but they made him shit in the final fight.
-Shang Tsung is Raiden's counterpart, and the actor was fine, but again, the writing for him was shit.
-Liu Kang was cool. Probably the best hero character.
-Reiko (The Mountain) was completely pointless.
-Mileena had a cool look, but zero backstory.
-Prince Goro was clearly CGI.

All that being said, I was entertained, but it should have been so much better.