The Suicide Squad (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

This trailer isn't too promising.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by GORDON »

I don't know... it's so ridiculous there may be something there.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

I trust James Gunn, but that trailer sucked.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

I enjoyed this movie. Was it great? Probably not. Was it very good + entertaining? Yes. Much better than the one from 5 years ago. I didn't watch Birds of Prey (or did I and forget it? Am I becoming Leisher? Pretty sure I never watched it).

The dialogue could have been better, but the plot was good for a super hero movie. Stallone acted his ass off. (Ok, that may have been a little sarcastic).
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

I also enjoyed it, but it definitely was not great. A great movie needs a great antagonist and this movie did not have any. That being said, it's really entertaining.
TheCatt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 am Much better than the one from 5 years ago.
Understatement.
TheCatt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 am I didn't watch Birds of Prey (or did I and forget it? Am I becoming Leisher? Pretty sure I never watched it).
It would be completely understandable to have seen it and forgotten it as it was a disaster.
TheCatt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 am The dialogue could have been better, but the plot was good for a super hero movie.
I disagree here. I think the dialogue was fine, but while the overall plot was serviceable, it absolutely fell apart in the details. HUGE plot points sprung up out of nowhere late in the movie and that shit felt really lazy. Also, they could not have telegraphed the ending more if the movie opened with a banner saying, "This is totally happening in the final fight!".
TheCatt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 am Stallone acted his ass off.
I completely forgot he was in the movie, so...maybe he did?

IMHO, the breakout star of the film was John Cena. Everything about his character was awesome and he played it perfectly. Idris Elba was his normal A list self. I was actually disappointed with Harley. I thought Robbie was great, but I feel like nobody knows how to write for the character. Also, the whole thing late with Waller was just trash.

Did you stick around for the post credits scene? From what I understand it's going to be an HBO show or something.

Really good movie, despite its flaws.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm I completely forgot he was in the movie, so...maybe he did?
He was the shark.
Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm IMHO, the breakout star of the film was John Cena. Everything about his character was awesome and he played it perfectly. Idris Elba was his normal A list self.
Agreed.
Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm I was actually disappointed with Harley. I thought Robbie was great, but I feel like nobody knows how to write for the character.
Also agreed.
Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm Did you stick around for the post credits scene? From what I understand it's going to be an HBO show or something.
No, because my wife wanted to hit it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm From what I understand it's going to be an HBO show or something.
OK, caught up now, yes same understanding.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:28 pm He was the shark.
Yeah, I had to look it up when you reminded me and I was implying that he did such a good job that I didn't even realize it was him.

I think this movie is solidly in the "Armageddon" categories: Flawed films that are still a pleasure to watch because they're just fun.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:45 pm he did such a good job that I didn't even realize it was him.
Hah.
Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:45 pm I think this movie is solidly in the "Armageddon" categories: Flawed films that are still a pleasure to watch because they're just fun.
Yes
GORDON
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by GORDON »

It's ok. Like how they don't completely remove the idea the last movie happened. I hate frequent, complete reboots.
thibodeaux

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by thibodeaux »

Let me get this straight. There was a movie a few years ago (w Will Smith) called Suicide Squad. And now there's a NEW movie (w Idris Elba) called THE Suicide Squad?

Marketing Genius right there.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Yep. The first one was pretty universally panned. Plus, nobody at WB gives a fuck about the DCU anymore, which they have stated publicly. They're just going to let creators do whatever they want with their characters, continuity be damned.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:43 pm Let me get this straight. There was a movie a few years ago (w Will Smith) called Suicide Squad. And now there's a NEW movie (w Idris Elba) called THE Suicide Squad?

Marketing Genius right there.
Yes. But calling it SS 2 would have required more continuity, and SS 2 implies it's a sequel of a bad movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Not a bomb, but disappointing box office.
The $185M DC antihero blockbuster holds a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and was received favourably by audiences, but it failed to match the debut of Birds of Prey ($33M) or even take that much more than Wonder Woman 1984 ($16.7M), which was released when pandemic restrictions meant that only 35% of theatres were open.
Call me crazy, but when the studio treats properties as unimportant, audiences will follow suit.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by Leisher »

They could have a lot of fun with this in the Peacemaker show.

Kind of like a "Mirror, Mirror" episode without needing goatees.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by GORDON »

I can't tell them apart.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

I dont see anyone?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

The Suicide Squad "Easter eggs"

I saw no resemblance between Weasel and Bill The Cat.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by GORDON »

Now that they mention it, I see BtC. Thing is, it's a reference to a newspaper comic strip from.... the early 80s?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:15 pm Now that they mention it, I see BtC. Thing is, it's a reference to a newspaper comic strip from.... the early 80s?
It is. And, it's what my nickname (TheCatt) comes from. In BBS days, my handle was BillTheCatt. I dropped Bill, because people kept thinking that was my real name.