The Little Things (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Little Things (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Denzel Washington, Remi Malek, and Jared Leto star in this crime thriller with only a 6/10 on IMDB. The acting is obviously very solid, although not as perfect as you would think, but still really solid. Of the three leads, I'd argue that Leto steals every scene he's in. Sure, he gets to be the colorful character, but he brought more to each scene. His performance was fantastic.

So why the lower than you expect score? The story.

It's not that the story is bad. Yes, it's unrealistic. Yes, it has flaws all over the place. (In fact, the entire third act is a complete shit show.) Yes, it's pretty slow. However, they are definitely trying to tell a story worth telling. Unfortunately, to do that, they started lying to the audience from the minute the movie was made. How so? Well, I don't want to spoil things. So if you have plans to watch the film, jump after the dotted line.

My final verdict is 5/10. There's a good movie here, but it was put in the wrong wrapper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoilers

This movie is not a crime thriller, it's a character drama. The actual serial killer is nothing more than a means to put all of the cops together. The real story is the cops, their families, and the other law enforcement entities. Being that this movie was sold and marketed as a serial killer film, you can see how that would make people turn against the movie. On top of that, there is no resolution to the plot or subplots. None. Not a fucking single one. Oh, and the vast majority of the cop stuff was just nonsense. Jurisdiction violations, the FBI working a M-F work week during an active serial killer investigation, crime scene violations, everything Remi does in the third act, and so on.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”