WandaVision

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

WandaVision

Post by GORDON »

Disney+.

If you have a chance to go in unspoiled, catch up on this show right now. Average length is like 27 minutes, and there's only 6 or 7 episodes. Going in blind you'll get to have the same "wtf/putting the clues together" experience the rest of us have had, and with this show, that's the best way to do it. Watch it before you get spoilered, and STOP READING RIGHT HERE.

Now that you're back, this last episode, "breaking the 4th wall" or whatever it was called, finally paid off all the mystery of the first part of the show. I don't think it will ever be said that the Marvel universe was playing it safe.... this show is really damned different and they've done it very well. The way they leaned in to the reveal at the end is brilliantly fun. And the cameo they dropped on us had peeps freaking out as much as Luke showing up in Mandalorian, and there's rumors of a bigger cameo coming.

It's a good show
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

WandaVision

Post by Leisher »

Binged this over the weekend. I'm a bit torn. It's a brilliant show that was clearly conceived from start to finish. I loved the story, acting, direction, creative choices, cameos, ending, and so on, but I don't know that I love one specific thing about the ending.

Overall, if you enjoy the MCU, this is not only a good viewing, but an absolute must as things will happen because of this show.

Now spoilers...

I'll get to that one thing in a minute, but my first surprise was Monica Rambeau. That's Captain Marvel! No, not Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel or the old Kree (ala white male) Captain Marvel or the new Arabic teenage girl Captain Marvel...fucking seriously Marvel?...this is a character from the 80s and I believe was the second Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers, at that time, was Ms. Marvel and then Binary. (Rogue happened between the Ms. Marvel-Binary years...) Anyway, she then was Proton, Pulsar, and Spectrum, so I'm sure you can figure out her powers. I loved that her DNA was re-written simply crossing in and out of the hex. It's simple and only happened to her (three times, with the third being the charm apparently). This was a really, really smart inclusion by Marvel. She is not only a woman of color, which the Avengers are lacking in this day and age, but she has led the team in the books a few different times. Giving her the SWORD/military background kind of sets her up to be able to do that in the films. FYI, if you didn't figure it out by the ending, she's capable of space flight.

I'm digging Agent Woo, and I hope they keep using him. It'd be cool to see him and Colston (is he still alive?) interact. Ditto for Kat Dennings' character. She's a bit snarky and silly, but not overly silly. She's Argyle.

The Quicksilver from the "other" universe was a great cameo, but they clearly have no plans to use him going forward. The fact that the story allowed them to "recast" him was perfect.

I do love that Vision is not only back, but flies off. That gives us the obvious story of he and Wanda "saying hello again". I always felt like he wasn't given much time in the MCU, so this fixes that.

I was not expecting Agatha Harkness at all. That came out of nowhere. Very cool character, and the actress that plays her deserves it. She's hilarious and usually gets "crazy best friend" roles, so it's cool to see her really get to show off her acting talents. Rumor has it that she will be back...

I loved that they admitted Wanda could have taken Thanos. She absolutely could have. That's how powerful she is and she doesn't even understand the full extent of her power yet. So keep that in mind going forward.

That brings me to the one thing that was disappointing, which was that I was expecting Wanda to have a mental breakdown when her boys were killed and unleash her power. The rumor has been that this would contain the thing that awakened mutants in the MCU, and I figured that would be it. This took at least one massive storyline off the table for the MCU (mentioned in a moment).

Why was I expecting that?

From IGN:
Long story short, Wanda eventually learns her sons' souls are formed from an aspect of the demon lord Mephisto. After Mephisto reclaims that energy, Wanda and Vision's children are seemingly wiped out of existence and Wanda is made to forget she ever had children.
This leads to "Avengers: Disassembled", which then leads to the exceptional "House of M". That's where Wanda being crazy and the level of her powers are really displayed.

Of course, if Elizabeth Olsen is willing to play this role for as long as she can, why go that route?

Anyway, great show and now I'm really looking forward to Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

WandaVision

Post by GORDON »

I've decided I don't like the "Ralph Bohner" casting. People were going apeshit as soon as he appeared onscreen, and it portended a major crossover. And then not only did nothing come of it, the creator said "I didn't think anyone would make the connection, it was just the actor that was available."
Either this person is dumb, or is setting up a major misdirect that makes him APPEAR dumb. Not a good look, either way.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

WandaVision

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:39 am And then not only did nothing come of it, the creator said "I didn't think anyone would make the connection, it was just the actor that was available."
There is no way that's true. Kevin Feige has a tight leash on all things Marvel. I cannot imagine how something like this, particularly since the casting was talked about in the show, could get by him.

Paul Bethany, Vision, was giving interviews and promoting an even bigger guest star and would go into great detail about it. Most people thought it was Doctor Strange, however he later revealed he was just trolling.

Who knows what they have planned? Making Ralph Wanda's brother again would be rather simple. After all, we never did see him after the reveal of his name, which means Agatha's spells were still intact.

Even if nothing does ever happen, it was a cool moment for fans of Fox's X-Men series. If you never saw those movies, Ralph's cameo meant nothing.

All that being said, remember that the next phase of the MCU is beginning and this one is going to dive deep into the multiverse. What's that mean? It means that the MCU will be like the DC/Marvel universes in the books, in that, all things are possible because there are infinite universes. Yep, Rick and Morty in full effect.

So yes, Ralph Bohner could look just like Quicksilver in this reality. What's his face could return alive as Wanda's brother as well. Tony Stark can come back. Ditto for Cap, which I predict will happen...as a villain... And so on. Although, if another Tony Stark shows up having turned himself into a pickle, I'm out! :D

The next Dr. Strange movie is all about the multiverse and the next Spider-Man movie is rumored to have Toby McGuire, Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Jamie Foxx and possibly others from previous SM films, which would indicate a Multiverse story line. And not for nothing, but how do you prove Peter Parker isn't Spider-Man? By having other Spider-Men running around while people are watching Peter be Peter. That's just me speculating though.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”