The Map of Tiny Perfect Things (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Amazon Prime Original

Kyle Allen is living Bill Murray's nightmare in Groundhog's Day, except he's loving it. He has clearly lived the day out millions of times to know the level of detail that he knows as the movie opens. Except for the fact that he can't help his best friend beat a level in a video game. (That small plot detail becomes a big "what the fuck?" moment later in the movie...) Somehow he lives this day millions of times and never runs into Kathryn Newton until today. Turns out, she's also stuck in a time loop, and they begin to adventure together.

This is a love story, but not as well done as Palm Springs or Groundhog's Day. You could call this the teen version, and I think that would be completely fair.

Both leads are charming and do a good job, but the script is kind of boring and doesn't do any explaining at all. They think they do, but only in "Hollywood science" terms.

It's fine, but inferior to the other movies I discussed. I'll recommend it to my daughters, but I'd never watch it again.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't even remember this thread existed until now.

It's ok. It's YA Groundhog Day in a universe where they know Groundhog Day is a movie that exists.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."