Outside the Wire (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Outside the Wire (2021)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

In a world where the U.S. and Russians have created robots to fight wars for them, Anthony Mackie is a new weapon, a cyborg. He's paired with a drone pilot with a bad attitude and they are seeking out a resistance leader trying to get nukes in a breakaway Russian civil war.

Very cool action at times, but the political messages are delivered with a sledgehammer. Hint: It's very anti-war mixed with anti-white people messages. Not all the white people are the bad guys, and there are some genuinely good ones, but it's very much implied that the U.S. and whitey are the cause of war. I get the "Hey U.S. stop with your political bullshit" message, but let's not pretend that without the U.S. the whole world would hold hands and sing songs around a campfire. And I'm overplaying the anti-white thing, but there are two lines delivered that really hammer the racism aspect home.

The story line is interesting enough and Damson Idris does a good job, but during the movie I kept thinking of the old woman screaming, "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works!" When your plot completely ignores a MASSIVE real life fact regarding nukes, it's doomed to be criticized.

Entertaining for a bit, but the sledgehammers take the fun away.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”