My Spy (2020)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

My Spy (2020)

Post by Leisher »

Amazon Prime exclusive

Bautista is a military badass turned CIA spy. However, he sucks at the spy stuff and is just good at kicking ass. This gets him into trouble with his superiors and he gets a shit assignment watching a bad guy's former lady and her 9 year old daughter. Stuff that could only happen in a family film happens, and his cover is blown by the kid. However, it's their little secret and they begin to bond. You can probably write the bullet points to the plot on your own. It's pretty standard.

Chloe Coleman is adorable as the kid, and her character is given good material. She does some scene stealing. Bautista is Bautista. He's a massive dude, so you can expect physical jokes about that, as well as, the typical "big teddy bear" stereotype. The movie is really about these two, however they are joined by Kristen Schaal (you know her face and voice, but not her name), Paris Fitz-Henly, and Ken Jeong. Ken probably filmed his scenes in a day or two and was off set. He's not given a lot here. Paris' character is pretty standard fare. Kristen's character is a whole other story. She's such a quirky person and a great character actor, but her character is poorly fleshed out here. She often feels like she was added to scenes that she wasn't originally in, and it just doesn't work. She is great. The character, not so much.

Special mention to Devere Rogers and Noah Dalton Danby. Their characters and how they are portrayed are perfect. I would watch a spin off of them.

Overall, it's a cute family movie.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

My Spy (2020)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:42 am (you know her face and voice, but not her name)
Oh, I learned her name when I was like "Wow, who's that super annoying person in Last Conchords?"... And "Wow, there's that super annoying person again in Last Man on Earth"....
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

My Spy (2020)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am
Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:42 am (you know her face and voice, but not her name)
Oh, I learned her name when I was like "Wow, who's that super annoying person in Last Conchords?"... And "Wow, there's that super annoying person again in Last Man on Earth"....
She was SUPER annoying in Last Man on Earth. But that's what she is cast to play. She's good at it.

She's also pretty decent as Louise on Bob's Burgers. Pretty sure she does other animated shows too.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

My Spy (2020)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am She was SUPER annoying in Last Man on Earth. But that's what she is cast to play. She's good at it.
Yes, yes she is.
It's not me, it's someone else.