To Your Last Death (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

To Your Last Death (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Currently on Prime

Animated film that's won a boatload of awards.

A woman is murdered, along with her siblings, by her rich and evil father (Ray Wise), but is given a second chance by a powerful entity called the Gamemaster (Morena Baccarin - Deadpool's main squeeze). The Gamemaster and her crew are wagering on the outcome of the situation, so don't think they have the woman's best interests in mind. (Picture Q and his buddies gambling on events, while also rewinding whenever something doesn't go the way they like.)

That Star Trek reference is coincidental, but it does remind me that Shatner is the narrator's voice.

It's an interesting film, and really well done. However, I don't think I loved it like these awards committees. The rules of this universe are a bit too flimsy for me to completely buy into everything. I mean, why would you gamble on a game that you know is rigged by the people you're wagering against? Why would you ever even be risking anything when someone can just reverse time willy nilly? Also, Cake and my discussion about free will really comes into play as well. Are you actually gambling on participants when their actions are sometimes completely dictated by the Gamemaster?

Award winning Sci-Fi horror, but do I recommend it? Maybe? I was entertained, but it's flawed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”