A Teacher (FX)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Cakedaddy

A Teacher (FX)

Post by Cakedaddy »

Wife recommended it to me. It's about a female teacher hooking up with her student.

First episode is the predictable "hot new teacher that all the dudes are drooling over". Basically intros all the characters with nothing really happening. At the end, it provides a URL for a support site for those that need support. They are not alone. My first thought was "What, they can't seem to seal the deal with their teacher and need some help?"

In this case, it's a high school student who is already having sex. He's just now hooking up with his older teacher. I just don't see him as a victim here. It's not until everyone in his life is telling him he's a victim and treating him differently, that he becomes a victim. One girl even hooks up with him because she's heard of him and he's "a legend". The next day, he texts her at 2am "You up?" She invites him over. She starts to console him and talks about how she made a mistake moving so fast. She heard how victims like him have issues with cuddling and eye contact. Calls him a "survivor" and wants to take things slow. He's like "We just fucked last night" She's all "Ya. But now I want to take things slow. I'm a feminist and should be an ally for you". He leaves. His own mom is trying to get him to see a counselor because he's "Going to need someone to talk to". Ya. He is. Because all you fucking people won't let it go!

Over all, I don't mind it and I'm watching it. Some of the acting is over done, as I see in most weekly TV shows. But other than that, the story is fine. I just don't agree with most of the characters reaction to all of it, except for the teacher and the student. Be pissed it happened, jail the teacher, etc. But all the other shit is what's driving the kid bonkers.

*** Minor spoilers. Info below is not a secret, and is confirmed/revealed pretty early. But still. There is some time you are wondering. ****

So, the kid is an 18 year old senior. Decides to hook up with his mid 30's hot teacher. I do NOT condone relations between students and teachers. NEVER acceptable under any circumstances. That being said, I don't think an 18 year old, sexually active male is going to be scarred for life because he bangs his teacher. Maybe I'm wrong, having never banged my teacher. But the PSA after every episode offering support because you are not alone just doesn't apply in this instance. Maybe by the end of the series I'll be like "ooohhhhh. Ya. Good point. This really WAS fucked up." But so far, it's just an 18 year old male having sex with a hot 35 year old.
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Teacher (FX)

Post by TheCatt »

If my teacher had looked like Kate Mara...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

A Teacher (FX)

Post by Cakedaddy »

Right? His mom is like "You'll need to talk to someone because of what you went through". He's like "I DIDN'T GO THROUGH ANYTHING!" Society just won't leave this poor kid alone until they break him!
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Teacher (FX)

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Right? His mom is like "You'll need to talk to someone because of what you went through". He's like "I DIDN'T GO THROUGH ANYTHING!" Society just won't leave this poor kid alone until they break him!
Seriously, he just got a fucking (literal + figurative) lottery ticket. My teachers were dogs. Except like... my 4th grade teacher... and seriously that's it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

A Teacher (FX)

Post by GORDON »

So what's the root cause of the silliness that is "that poor boy got laid, he must be traumatized?" Is it the politically correct insistence that males and females are exactly the same?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

A Teacher (FX)

Post by Cakedaddy »

It seems that it's that a teacher fucked a student, therefore, an adult fucked a child. Now, you can argue that at 18, many people are still children. They might have a case if he hadn't had sex before, or was an introvert, or some other type of broken or handicapped. But this kid is popular, in sports, does well in school, etc. And, well, his teacher was attracted to that as well. I have seen nothing so far that would scar the kid, as far and he and the teacher were concerned. But when everyone else gives their two cents, ya, he'll need therapy because of all the therapy people are trying to put him in.