Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)

Post by Leisher »

Currently on Hulu

Listed as a cult classic I had to check it out.

A Northern European film, so expect subtitles.

A small community in Finland (or Norway?) on the border with Russia begin to experience weird events. Are they related to the excavation taking place on a nearby mountain on the Russian side? A little boy believes he knows what's going on, and it's related to Santa Claus, but obviously nobody listens to him.

Really strange overall tone in that a child is the main protagonist and there are definitely "kid power" moments, but in no way is this a movie for kids. Or maybe it is? It's not really scary, but there is gore and a LOT of naked old men. Yep. Lots of wangs and butts. They're mostly obscured, but they're there. And there's one scene late when they take center stage. Don't get me wrong, the movie isn't about the dicks. It just happens to be the costume for these men, which makes sense for the mythology, but means you're going to have a lot of one eyed wonder worms bouncing around the screen. (I pondered writing a longer paragraph with more names for johnsons, but you get the point.)

I guess the genre here would be the same as Gremlins: Family Christmas Horror.

Overall, this was entertaining. I can see why it's a cult hit, and also why it's not more mainstream.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”