Tenet

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Tenet

Post by GORDON »

There's a thing that's gonna end the world, and the protagonist has to get it before the antagonist does!

It's a Nolan movie. Really good writing, really good directing. Sometimes dialogue was muddy, overwhelmed by other noises, but not often.

I think it would take me 5 solid, focused rewatches to get all of this movie's own Easter eggs (Easter eggs of this movie, in this movie). This is the second most complicated time travel movie I've ever seen.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Tenet

Post by thibodeaux »

Heinlein did this better 80 years ago on his first try (he did it even better on his second, 60 years ago)
GORDON
Site Admin

Tenet

Post by GORDON »

In the battle scene at the end, when there are peeps on screen in both time directions, it was amusing to see some actors clearly running backwards, pretending to be reversed.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Tenet

Post by thibodeaux »

I don't really care for mass battle scenes. This one was interesting in that they were only destroying ruins (in the desert? I thought it was Siberia). We never really see who they're fighting though. I joked w my son: they're probably fighting themselves from the future/past.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tenet

Post by Leisher »

40 minutes in and I'm bored. More than that, I'm annoyed by the LOUD background music.

Do people in Hollywood not understand that every TV in the U.S. doesn't have a separate surround system with various channels so the viewer can raise or lower certain aspects of a movie's sound? I can barely hear the fucking dialogue.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Tenet

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Really good writing, really good directing.
I agree with 75% of that statement. Nolan is a top 3 director right now, but as a writer, he's more "big ideas with mixed execution".

This is a pretentious slog of a movie. A fascinating concept that is beautifully directed, but ultimately tries way too hard to be smart and fails to be entertaining.

I agree with everything said in this Honest Trailers clip, and even said "YES!" out loud when they reference the terrible hallway fight in the Freeload or whatever.

https://youtu.be/XkO-Wp8HrB0
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tenet

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:19 pm Do people in Hollywood not understand that every TV in the U.S. doesn't have a separate surround system with various channels so the viewer can raise or lower certain aspects of a movie's sound? I can barely hear the fucking dialogue.
We have a pretty fancy system and it's still an issue, even with dialogue boosting turned on.

I enjoyed this movie, but I felt they were way too heavy handed with the timeline hints. There was no mystery and no tension.
Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 pm I agree with everything said in this Honest Trailers clip, and even said "YES!" out loud when they reference the terrible hallway fight in the Freeload or whatever.
The fight was intentionally terrible, to show you that one of the fighters already knew what was going to happen (see heavy-handedness references above), and he couldn't hurt the person.
It's not me, it's someone else.