The Three-Body Problem

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by TheCatt »

At least this time they are working with an ending and don't have to make it up themselves.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

Powered through these last year. Really good, some excellent scenes that can be done with modern CGI.

I recall that they can and should end the series a little earlier than the books did. It meanders on a bit...
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

I've heard good things about the series. Originally in Chinese,yes?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:11 pm Powered through these last year. Really good, some excellent scenes that can be done with modern CGI.

I recall that they can and should end the series a little earlier than the books did. It meanders on a bit...
So, uhhh..... the first three chapters take place between 1920 and 1970 in the Chinese cultural revolution. Is this a sci-fi book, or am I reading the wrong thing?
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:13 pm
Troy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:11 pm Powered through these last year. Really good, some excellent scenes that can be done with modern CGI.

So, uhhh..... the first three chapters take place between 1920 and 1970 in the Chinese cultural revolution. Is this a sci-fi book, or am I reading the wrong thing?
Super important backstory to the rest of the series. Cause-->effect kind of thing.

Scale wise, it's somewhat similar to Pandora's Star, without all the weird psuedo science magic. Also scale similar to the Expanse, just goes in a way different direction.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

This shit is slooooow to get going. Well over half way through and no actual scifi yet. Plenty of hints, but this is a very odd piece of literature. Very Chinese. Full of physicists killing themselves because of academic angst.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

Ok. So a third of this book is spent showing that China sucked so hard that it made a supervillain that was willing to literally destroy the human race as payback.

Sort of surprised china allowed this book to exist.
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:22 pm Ok. So a third of this book is spent showing that China sucked so hard that it made a supervillain that was willing to literally destroy the human race as payback.

Sort of surprised china allowed this book to exist.
This, a million times.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

The science got hard at the end.

The book was ok. As a storyteller, I don't like how this author did it, leaving the point of everything a complete mystery until the last 20% if the book. It isn't like the readers could deduce what was happening, the journey was just completely in the dark most of the way. I don't find that to be fun.

I went ahead and got the sequel, now that I powered through the mystery portion. Hopefully it is more of a straight line progression of story, now.
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

Me and you should have some fun in the spoiler thread down the road. I liked where the following books went.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

I'm listening to audio books.

I understand the original language is Chinese.

That being said, what's the deal in book 2 when the guy

casts a spell on another star. They're using that word over and over, with no explanation. I feel like some idiom got lost in translation.

So far in the story all we've been told is "nothing happened" but what was supposed to happen?
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:11 pm ?
I think this is one of the VERY fiction parts - but spell is being used to describe some future science way of using a star's (energy? mass? radiation?) to amplify a message. They do it to test something - right?
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

Nah, like the first book, all the answers come in the last few pages.

he used our sun amplification to send out another message to the galaxy.... Except this time it was a test.
He sent out a friendly star map pointing at a star 50 light years away , to see what happened. Yep, some other hostile civilization destroyed it... Which made him look like a wizard. Then he uses the same threat against the Tri Solarans.

Is book 3 any good?
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:10 pm Nah, like the first book, all the answers come in the last few pages.

he used our sun amplification to send out another message to the galaxy.... Except this time it was a test.
He sent out a friendly star map pointing at a star 50 light years away , to see what happened. Yep, some other hostile civilization destroyed it... Which made him look like a wizard. Then he uses the same threat against the Tri Solarans.

Is book 3 any good?
It's weird. I remember thinking it was weird.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

So far book three takes place within the same time frame as books 1-2, except it's like "look what was also going on." So far not impressed, but I'm still early into it.

But so far it seems like you can stop at book 2 and get a complete story.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

I rescind a previous observation.... book 3 STARTS "and here's what was also going on in the same time frame," but it quickly continues on with the main storyline.

Hint: if you like the ending of book 2, you can stop there and have a complete, satisfying story in your head. But that story isn't over.
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 pm But so far it seems like you can stop at book 2 and get a complete story.
I think you are far enough now, to not spoil stuff, my reaction to this at the time was "but 3 finishes up the complete story of the human race" :lol:
GORDON
Site Admin

The Three-Body Problem

Post by GORDON »

So there's a book 4 and the story goes on?

I fully expect that brain probe to come back in to the story.
Troy

The Three-Body Problem

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:56 pm
So there's a book 4 and the story goes on?

I fully expect that brain probe to come back in to the story.
I could only find a 4th book that: allowed to use the same universe, but not the main storyline, different author.