Trick (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Trick (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Omar Epps is a detective who encounters a serial killer named Trick that Omar believes to be a supernatural force. Jamie Kennedy, looking very old, is also here. (Kennedy plays a doctor, and I don't know if I've ever seen a worse casting choice in history.)

The writers also worked on My Bloody Valentine 3D, Jason X, and Terminator Genesis, so you know...awesome writing! :D

Long story short: an interesting twist is bogged down by piss poor direction, editing, and writing.

The story is a convoluted mess. So many side stories and subplots that are completely unresolved, unexplained, and pop up out of nowhere. All the characters are one dimensional, but played up like we all know their long and deep histories. Tom Atkins, a face you'll immediately recognize, pops up as a large personality in this small town and they allude to various different things we should know about him, but again, shit we never get told or shown so his character carries no weight.

I truly think the filmmakers had a potential "thing" here, but they blew it. They should have gone right to Netflix (and they have the credits to do it), and asked for a season of Slasher (Netflix's serial killer show). As an 8-10 episode series, the story could have really been fleshed out to give the characters depth, and really make the twist hammer the viewer rather than the "meh" it hits with here. Would it have been the next Game of Thrones? Of course not, but it would have been an interesting watch.

Skip it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”