HBOMax

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Cakedaddy

HBOMax

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's not just HBO any more. I was confused by all the stuff being listed. South Park? Fresh Prince? DC stuff? All kinds of 'not HBO' stuff available. Pretty cool.
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

Available on neither roku nor firestick
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

They're clearly trying to stay relevant. Good for them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

Anyone ever manage to get this casting to a Roku?

There's supposed to be multiple ways to do it...

https://nerdschalk.com/how-to-get-hbo-m ... rror-cast/

None of which are working for me. I was doing it from my phone, and the closest I got was the "Through Google Home" method. I hit the "power on" button in the app, and the Roku Ultra says, "Thinking" for 1.5 seconds, then nothing. Nothing else on the phone would even recognize there was a Roku out there waiting for a screen mirror.

Is it possible to cast from a PC? I'm on my laptop, I launch an HBOMax vid, and the roku casting options are there, but greyed out as "Source Not Supported."

WHy the fuck is this so difficult. It's already bullshit that I need to take my hard-wired-to-the-network Roku and connect it to a wifi router, so the devices will be "on the same network."
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

Well, I figured out this particular laptop doesn't support screen casting in the hardware, because of no reason I can figure out. It's not an old machine. Windows 10 is telling me it isn't supported on this hardware, and maybe update my wifi or graphics card. I guess a 100MB wireless connection isn't fast enough to stream spongebob.

The phone is still a boggle at this time. Tried 3 different ways, none of them are working.
Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Anyone ever manage to get this casting to a Roku?
No, and I cannot fathom why it wouldn't be available there.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Anyone ever manage to get this casting to a Roku?
No, and I cannot fathom why it wouldn't be available there.
It's not on Roku or one other platform cuz they couldn't agree to terms.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

That is monumentally stupid.

Does HBO really think they're in a position of power here? Roku is a big deal and nobody is switching because they "need" HBO Max.
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

It's been 3+ months now. I figured they would have gotten their shit together by then.

If I wasn't splitting the cost of it, I would have cancelled HBO Max over this issue, by now.
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

Tried casting to Roku from my much newer/faster gaming PC.

"Hardware not supported."

They seem to be purposely making this hard to do/impossible.

Back in the 90s I transmitted from PC to TV with a set of RF transmitters/receivers. It's so nice that we're trying to get away from that functionality now that it's technically so much easier.
TheCatt
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by TheCatt »

Time to get something other than a Roku? Or, a new TV? :)

Our devices (iOS, Chrome, Android, Win10) can all broadcast directly to the TV without devices.
Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

Many TVs now come with Roku, AppleTV, the Amazon one, or their own proprietary software installed. Also, most people don't know how to cast to their TV or don't want to.

The pay channels need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize they have better make themselves available on every conceivable device before more pay channels keep hitting and the inevitable reckoning comes.
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

I'm a technical guy, and this shit is still stymieing me. I'm sure it's possible, but it shouldn't be this difficult. As I said, I can't even get HBOMax streaming from my android phone, yet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'm a technical guy, and this shit is still stymieing me. I'm sure it's possible, but it shouldn't be this difficult. As I said, I can't even get HBOMax streaming from my android phone, yet.
You need a Chromecast.
Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

Of the devices you can get, I found the Chromecast to be the absolute worst. Roku is the absolute best and it's not a close race.
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

I say "streaming from my android phone" but what I meant was casting from my andriod phone to my roku. I can indeed stream HBOMax ON my android phone. Getting it to the TV is the part that is a boggle.
TheCatt
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I say "streaming from my android phone" but what I meant was casting from my andriod phone to my roku. I can indeed stream HBOMax ON my android phone. Getting it to the TV is the part that is a boggle.
Chromecast will do that. I've probably got one lying around if you want it. It's 1080p, though, not 4k.
Leisher wrote: Of the devices you can get, I found the Chromecast to be the absolute worst. Roku is the absolute best and it's not a close race.
It solves the problem Gordon has.
Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It solves the problem Gordon has.
Apple devices stream directly to most smart devices, nothing else needed...

I say that sadly because you know I hate Apple, but got to give credit where it's due.
GORDON
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

HBOMax

Post by Leisher »

Perfect timing.

My kids are amped to see WW84, and they have no idea they'll be watching it at home on Christmas.