Peninsula (2020) (Train to Busan 2)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Teaser looks great.

https://youtu.be/yVucSRLLeIM
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Made $50M in South Korea... you know, where they are allowed to go theatres.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"The Wandering Earth" made mad bank in South Korea.

I don't consider them a litmus for the quality of a film.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: "The Wandering Earth" made mad bank in South Korea.

I don't consider them a litmus for the quality of a film.
This is a good point.

Train to Busan was a great film though.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This is NOT Train to Busan. Is that a bad thing? Kind of, but kind of not...

So the zombie outbreak that started in South Korea was held in check there thanks to the DMZ and the world acting swiftly. It's now four years after that incident and some survivors are heading back illegally to grab $20M in U.S. cash sitting in a truck on a bridge. It's a simple in and out that will be done during the night when the zombies are blind. Of course, things don't go as planned.

This was a completely different style than Train to Busan. You see similarities all over the place, but also massive differences. For example: During two separate scenes I asked my wife if this was the newest Fast & Furious movie. Several times it is very obvious, and probably intentional, where they really sped up the film so everything was in fast motion. The acting that was so unbelievably good in Train to Busan is not present here. This one is heavy on action, and light on tension. The scenes that are supposed to be touching drag out way too long. The villains are really shallow characters with too much backstory. The kid is more involved this time, which hurts the seriousness of any film.

Those things all make the movie sound terrible, but it's not. It IS entertaining, it just isn't anywhere close to Train to Busan. This comes off as more of a family friendly zombie movie, but still with frightening zombies and humans being horrible.

My wife who did like Train to Busan, did not like this one. My twin girls both liked it. I was entertained during this viewing, but unlike Train to Busan, I'll never watch this one again.