Disney+

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Disney+

Post by Leisher »

The FOX purchase is now complete.

Disney now owns part (most?) of Hulu, which is a massive deal and rumored to be a potential landing spot for those Netflix Marvel shows that were cancelled.

Also...
Some of the many properties which will now fall under the control of Disney include the X-Men and Fantastic Four rights and distribution rights to the original Star Wars, as well as Avatar, Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, Die Hard, Ice Age, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad!, Bob’s Burgers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, American Horror Story, Modern Family and The X-Files.
Does Disney now control the fate of The Orville? If so, I have a letter to write! Picture Disney using The Orville to compete with Star Trek. I'm down for that.

I wonder if the Buffy reboot is now on hold?

Anyone want to make a wager about a mutant appearing in Endgame? Post credit scenes count! It doesn't have to be Wolverine either. We already know Deadpool is going to survive and still be R rated, but I think Feige is going to wipe out the rest of the Fox X-Men continuity, which was horrible.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Disney Rules the Entertainment World

Post by GORDON »

What X-Men continuity? Haven't we seen like 4 distinct timelines in 8 (?) movies?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: What X-Men continuity? Haven't we seen like 4 distinct timelines in 8 (?) movies?
Basically, although if we're being fair, it is a really accurate depiction of how convoluted the comics became.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Disney going to be start out cheap.
Walt Disney Co.’s DIS -0.48% new streaming service, Disney+, will launch in November at a price of $6.99 a month, the company told investors Thursday, positioning the offering as an affordable addition to the streaming marketplace.

The linchpin of Disney’s streaming strategy, Disney+ will be an ad-free subscription service anchored by programming based on Disney’s biggest franchises, including “Star Wars” and Marvel Studios, as well as original programming. Its price—it will also be offered for an annual payment of $69.99—is nearly half the cost of Netflix Inc. subscriptions.
ithin its first year, Disney+ will offer more than 7,500 episodes of television and 25 episodic series, alongside more than 100 recent movies and 400 library titles. There will be nine original pieces of content at launch on Nov. 12 and 25 in the first year from the Disney Channel, Marvel, National Geographic and its Star Wars production company, Lucasfilm Ltd.

Disney+ also will house episodes of the long-running Fox animated hit “The Simpsons” as well as the original trio of “Star Wars” movies.

Disney will manage three separate streaming services. In addition to Disney+, the company already offers ESPN+, a complement to its sports network, and Hulu, an established service with more than 25 million subscribers. Though each service is designed for a different kind of consumer, Disney will likely bundle all three and offer them combined at a discounted price, said Kevin Mayer, a longtime Disney executive in charge of its direct-to-consumer efforts.
NFLX only down 1% in pre-market
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

YTTV has embittered me. Disney is launching at a loss and will be $12 within 18 months of launch. That's my official prediction.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: YTTV has embittered me. Disney is launching at a loss and will be $12 within 18 months of launch. That's my official prediction.
$15 within 3 years.

!rmindme 1/1/2023
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Disney makes moves with Fox properties.

Every other year for SW (a dead franchise) and Avatar (a crazily overrated franchise).

All Fox Marvel movies cancelled. It has been noted elsewhere they WILL continue the Deadpool franchise as is...

New Mutants, which has already been made, is delayed...again. Not a good sign.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Disney's new Star Wars park souvenir drink bottles are banned from flights for being "replica explosives"
Vince

Post by Vince »

That's funny!
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince

Post by Vince »

They might be about to create new classics. It's a Wonderful Life became a classic because the movie company (I forget which one) let the rights lapse because they didn't file the paperwork. So all the local stations were able to run it without paying royalties. And run it they did. When it was released in theaters, it was considered a very average film.

Edit to add: I think it was late 60's or early 70's when it started playing everywhere on TV around Christmas.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Well, they did this in the past to create demand when they would re-release movies on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I think this is more of that, but they'll probably allow these movies to be seen on Disney+ at some point, but nowhere else.

Can't really blame them for only allowing their property to be seen on their store or via media you bought from them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yet another win for piracy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Yet another win for piracy.
Yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Yet another win for piracy.
Could be absolutely.

However, this type of exclusivity I have no issue with really. It is their IP. Kind of like how Black Mirror only airs on Netflix.

We're going to see more and more of this as more and more services launch. I expect piracy will increase along with the number of streaming platforms.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Can't really blame them for only allowing their property to be seen on their store or via media you bought from them.
I don't blame them either. I think it has a potential to backfire if they aren't careful.

Wife and I watch the Best of the 70's Show on AXS. Just watched the one on top 10 cartoons of the 70's. I'm pretty sure that with the exception of The Fat Albert Show, every cartoon on there was a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I remembered that Disney was pretty much in shambles at that point. Then the ritual of the Saturday morning cartoon watching went away with the advent of the VCR and the Cartoon Network. Disney is on top today. Odds are the landscape will be something we couldn't have envisioned in 20 years. The big name will probably be a Chinese movie house at the rate we're selling our souls.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

72978904_2345256712453189_981848069534384128_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I thought we posted that here before
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If so I missed it.