Matrix 4: Resurrections

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:52 pm
Troy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:12 pm I like the idea that he is in a version of the Matrix where the Matrix movie exists...
Close.

I'm not even going to spoiler this shit.
Everything I've heard is so bad, you might as well spoiler it. I don't know that I want to put myself through it. Your critique joins a bunch of other similar ones. Doesn't sound good at all.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have a hunch that Lana made an allegory about her transition, in this movie, but I need to digest it more.

What I meant was I wasn't going to spoiler-tag it. Nothing I can describe would approach the hubris of this flick.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Someone looked at Keanu and said, "Warner Brothers is going to make this sequel with or without you, so you might as well be on board."

In the movie. That happened in the movie.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I didn't think it was that bad. At one point, I was even wondering if there were going to be more. I saw a real story developing. However, then it did start getting a bit predictable, and then very predictable. But, it was still entertaining to watch.

I don't regret watching it, as there were plenty of cool scenes in dialog, action, and nostalgia. However, by the end, I didn't care if there would be any more or not as it didn't have the same impact as the original.

Two things there were let downs. The game company in the movie that made the matrix games was called Deus Machina. And they used this ALOT. Unwinnable situation, out of no where, something/one saves them. I'd say this was in the first one as well, but this one over used it.

Second, NO ONE dies. Not a single named character dies. Every time I thought "Ok, this is where we start losing people we care about" we didn't. Maybe this was a way to avoid predictability? I don't know. But EVERYONE lives. Good guys. Bad guys. Characters with bit parts. The only deaths were of unnamed/credited back ground minions.

So, after all that, you might be thinking "then ya, this is as bad as everyone says it is". Well, I guess I don't agree. Was it as good as the first? Nope. Was it as bad and 2 and 3? Nope. There are a LOT of movies out there that break a lot of rules, and let you down in many way, but are still entertaining. That's this one. I had not read ANY reviews, so I was going in hopeful. I had some expectations. In spite of it not living up to them, I still don't regret watching it, and did enjoy it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Very, very interesting that Cake comments here the same day I'm watching it and around the same time. Early on while watching this film Agent Smith has a discussion with Neo regarding free will and what is real and what isn't. It was almost exactly the same conversation Cake and I had years ago. It made me realize that I am Neo and Cake is Agent Smith.

Am I joking? That conversation 100% happened. You tell me. What's real? What isn't?

That is the strength of this film. Basically anything can happen. However, it's also the weakness and what ultimately makes it fail. The writers have less creativity than an average Rick & Morty episode. The lore is just an absolute mess and it gets even worse with all the new additions this time.

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I also didn't enjoy it as much as Cake. So I think that puts me between hate and meh? I'm glad I watched it, but like the other two sequels, I'll never watch it again and it certainly wasn't memorable.

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:47 pm The game company in the movie that made the matrix games was called Deus Machina. And they used this ALOT. Unwinnable situation, out of no where, something/one saves them. I'd say this was in the first one as well, but this one over used it.
A LOT.
Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:47 pm Second, NO ONE dies. Not a single named character dies.
There were ZERO stakes in the film, so it all felt pointless. Even the background characters you said died, really didn't.

Everything is pointless because all the preceding movies told us everything is pointless. The lore is just too fucked at this point for them to make a good movie. No wonder Lawrence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving passed on coming back. And holy shit were their replacements jarringly bad. I don't blame the actors as much as I blame the dialogue. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Jonathan Groff tried, but they were terrible imitations of far better actors in memorable roles. Sorry, but "Tom" doesn't have the same power as "Mr. Anderson". Every time Groff started to monologue all I could think about was how amateur hour it was compared to Weaving's performance.

Plus, Trinity getting the powers now...ugh. Why the hell would Neo forget them, and how would she get them after being an OG who never could get them back in the day? Two seconds out this time and she's a god? Dumb and Gordon's probably right about this having more to do with Lana's transition than being a good story point.

Even the post credits scene was stupid.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I missed the post credit scene.

At the beginning, there was random chatter by random people arguing about what "The Matrix" game in the movie (which of course was the movie. . ) was about, and sex transitioning was mentioned. So she actually gave a shout out to that part of fan speculation.