The Eternals

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Eternals

Post by Leisher »

The next phase of Marvel is coming. Got to admit, this one has me at a loss. Not characters I enjoyed, and I have no idea what direction they're going here.

Salma Hayek joins the cast.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Eternals

Post by GORDON »

It was ok. So far removed from Marvel that it was jarring to hear them suddenly mention Thanos and stuff like that.

VERY interesting they were able to use a Pink Floyd song, though I think it could have been done better.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

The Eternals

Post by GORDON »

One thing they did well, in my opinion, is making sure you learned who they all were. There were like 10 of them, so that's a tall order. In the Hobbit movie I'm not even sure if all 13 dwarves even had a single line. But yeah, by the end I had a sense of who each of them was, and they even fleshed out (a bit) of a couple human characters.

And I liked how they made you feel the massive scale of a Celestial, compared to a little thing like a planet.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Eternals

Post by Leisher »

I'm thinking about starting a Kickstarter campaign to buy Hollywood some lighting kits. This movie was so absurdly dark for the majority of the runtime. Why is this a trend for newer films?

Anyway, Gordon's right that's it's ok. Definitely would be far down the list of best Marvel films in order. Above Dark World, but that's probably it.

There were a lot[/u] of flaws in the story, imho. So many that I never got invested in the characters. I just kept thinking about all the problems with what was being presented. I get why they did what they did, but it just doesn't work logically within the story.

They'll be showing up again so see it to stay up to date with who everyone is, but this isn't Marvel's finest hour.

The problems with the characters and other thoughts:
Ok, all the Eternals in the comics had the same powers. They were essentially all Superman. They obviously broke them all up and gave them to individual characters so they could stand apart. This is important for the media of film. However, it broke their purpose in the story. WTF would you need someone with illusion as a super power to kill deviants? How about techoguy? Or transmorph lady? I realize they tried to explain it away by suggesting their stuff was to help humanity evolve, but it was a stretch. Only three had any sort of fighting prowess to do their actual mission. Oh, and what's the point of the puppet master if he can't take over deviants and they are supposed to just let humans evolve?

Furthermore, Athena being "broken" was just a shitshow of a side story. What happened to make her that way? If it was explained, I missed it. How would this process not be perfected by now with the billions of planets out there? Speaking of that, how are there fucking Krees, Skrulls, and all of these other alien races with space travel if all of their planets have Celestials in them? They would have been destroyed far sooner in their histories. Or was Earth just a lucky "egg"? Back to Athena, if she's a robot, why wouldn't they have the ability to fix her? Wouldn't the Celestials have planned for such an event?

Speaking of robots, WTF designs a deaf robot? That was easily the dumbest thing in the movie. Also, I forgot to include her in the fighting group because so did the writers apparently. These brilliant Eternals drag along a fucking child with magic tricks that don't do shit rather than a speed demon capable of almost beating Icarus on her own. Next time leave the kid on the ship...

They killed off the best character, Gilgamesh. I love Salma, but I'm glad Ajak is dead. I don't think Icarus is really dead because they didn't show it. Kingo ended up being essentially useless and a coward. Although, I'd watch a Disney+ show about him and Karun. Karun legit made me laugh multiple times.

What that post credits scene means:
Kit Harrington is going to play the Black Knight. That was the Ebony Blade he had and it was referenced once earlier in the film. The voice who spoke to him from off screen is speculated to be Blade.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”