The Good Place

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by GORDON »

Show on Netflix, currently 2 seasons.

Warning: if you let Netflix hover on this show, it'll play a preview. The preview spoils Season 1 in its entirety. Every plot twist is revealed. It's sort of insane.

That being said, the show is ok. Ted Danson is an administrator in "The Good Place," where good people go after they die. Sort of just a really nice community. But then a really shitty woman ends up there by accident, and things go screwy.

As I said, worth watching.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by TheCatt »

I'm surprised I didn't mention this show.

That being said, Season 1 is really good, Season 2 is OK, season 3 is meh.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by GORDON »

I like how the show changes in S2.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by GORDON »

It ended sweet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It ended sweet.
It did. We enjoyed it
Cakedaddy

The Good Place

Post by Cakedaddy »

I missed the previous posts. Very much a thumbs up.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 pm Warning: if you let Netflix hover on this show, it'll play a preview. The preview spoils Season 1 in its entirety. Every plot twist is revealed. It's sort of insane.
The auto play feature is the worst thing about Netflix.

Also, just started this show recently. Heard it was over and it went to plan: Four seasons all written out before the first day of filming. Into S2 and I'm enjoying it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:57 pm Also, just started this show recently. Heard it was over and it went to plan: Four seasons all written out before the first day of filming.
It felt a little lost in the desert for a while, but S1 was awesome. And the ending was worth it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by Leisher »

RAFIBOMB!

I didn't know he was in this!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by Leisher »

I'm into Season 3, episode 7.

I hope Cakedaddy is reading this thread. Kristen Bell (the human) and Ted Danson (the non-human) are having the free will-no free will conversation we had way back in the OAPI days. Bell is on your side Cake. I've got Danson on mine. Danson wins. :D

Also, Adam Scott is such an entertaining demon.
Cakedaddy

The Good Place

Post by Cakedaddy »

I am reading, I did see it, I don't remember the discussion or outcome though. Maybe I'll review that episode.

Ok. I think you are insane for thinking Ted won. Free will to dump the iced tea? She says it herself "You had to. It's what you do when someone is acting annoying". And to use falling in love as an example of free will? Love is nothing more than chemicals in your brain which you have NO CONTROL OVER!

Ted thought he had all the variables and could therefor predict all of her choices. He didn't. His super computer couldn't keep up. Take chaos theory for example. Basically, because of rounding errors, even if you start with the same variables, if you go far enough ahead, you get different answers. His computer couldn't keep up with all of the cause/effect things going on and he was missing predictions.

Let's take a simple thing as an example. Limit the variables, and I will 100% be able to predict your behavior.

You have to choose between two things. I give you $100. Or I put a hot poker into your eye and you lose that eye. I KNOW you will choose the $100 because I know you don't hate yourself enough to wish that kind of pain on yourself AND I know this argument isn't important enough to you that you would be willing to sacrifice your eye to win. I can with 100% certainty predict your choice. If I know enough of the variables, I can predict your choices. Because your choices are reactions to stimuli that you have been exposed to.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by Leisher »

Ted thought he had all the variables and could therefor predict all of her choices. He didn't. His super computer couldn't keep up.
Yeah, the all knowing supernatural entities couldn't predict behavior, yet free will doesn't exist...
Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:47 pm You have to choose between two things. I give you $100. Or I put a hot poker into your eye and you lose that eye. I KNOW you will choose the $100 because I know you don't hate yourself enough to wish that kind of pain on yourself AND I know this argument isn't important enough to you that you would be willing to sacrifice your eye to win.
This is dumb and you know it. You can either get a million dollars to have sex with Halle Berry or you can get shot into the sun, yet somehow be kept alive and just feel the intense agony of every part of you burning forever, which do you choose? It's not hard to make predictions when things are that extreme.

You do understand that your argument is that if you knew every single variable about a person and situation, you think you could accurately predict their choice perfectly even if the person was given that choice to make an infinite amount of times? Because if they choose a different option even once, your argument is proven wrong.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by GORDON »

Alternatively, he might be so entrenched in his position, and his desire to spite you may be so great, that he chooses eternal agony on the sun just to prove you wrong.

Thus, free will. ;)

You two have been having this conversation since I've known you, almost 30 years now. Not tiresome at all.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Good Place

Post by Leisher »

Gordon's bad place will be him trapped in a room with Cake and I endlessly discussing free will.
Cakedaddy

The Good Place

Post by Cakedaddy »

My example is how easy it is when you know all the variables.

The all knowing demon? He seemed like a pretty incompetent demon to me. He thought he knew everything about her, but clearly didn't.

Do rats have free will? Do greasshoppers? Do any other creatures except humans? Everything is driven by instinct, survival, reproduction, etc.