Mandy (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mandy (2018)

Post by Leisher »

This movie is getting rave reviews...by critics. 91% critic rating on RT, however 66% user rating. IMDB has it at 6.6.

Important note: One reviewer at RT gave it a thumbs up, but specified that being high is probably necessary to enjoy the film. It's actually what I would break out as exhibit A to prove critics are full of shit. This is a movie that made zero fucking sense and all the reviews contradict one another trying to give meaning to what they watch. It's a perfect example of how critics love to praise films where they have no clue what's going on, and thus, think it must be awesome because it's over their heads.

Nick Cage is the star, and he's fucking awesome Nick Cage at his most Nick Cage.

This movie is fucking strange, and that's an understatement. Let me try to give you the story. Nick is living with his lady in the middle of nowhere. They love one another. However, there is a group of demons, think the Manson Family, out there and their leader dreams of Nick's lady. The baddies then head to Nick's home to meet her. Shit happens and now Nick is fighting back.

There's a lot of supernatural stuff here. The demons are mixed in with normal humans, but apparently the main baddie has powers despite being human? I don't know. I know he dreamed of Nick's lady and then found her without issue. I have absolutely zero fucking clue about how the demons worked. It was completely inconsistent and never explained. There's a lot that was unexplained. Almost all of the dialogue is complete nonsense.

Additionally, the cinematography, which is beautiful despite most of the movie being poorly lit, is right out of a drug induced dream. Make no mistake, the creative people behind this film were fucking high. Really really really high.

It's plodding, it's completely nonsensical, but it still entertained me. How can you not love Nick Cage being Nick Cage, and the main baddie trying to out overact him!?

You should not waste your time on this film, but you should absolutely see this film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Mandy (2018)

Post by GORDON »

Get a box.

Put in:

Midsommer
Kiss of the Vampire
Hellraiser
Colour Out of Space
Nicholas Cage from 1984

Shake it up

That's this movie.

I understood more than Leisher, I think. The demons weren't demons, I think a lot of their abilities were from the LSD/PCP mix. Plus the person with the POV was also tripping balls.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."