Annihilation (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by GORDON »

I heard they embargoed reviews, never a good sign.

Which makes one wonder why they do advance screenings if they won't allow anyone to talk about it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by GORDON »

ANyone know when this is hitting 'FLix?
Leisher
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by Leisher »

"A couple weeks"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Annihilation

Post by Troy »

Saw it, was quite good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by GORDON »

I skipped it in the theater because of this statement, and it didn't happen.

I've been lied to.
Leisher
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by Leisher »

Oh, it hit Netflix back in Feb/March, just not in the U.S.
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by GORDON »

Damn lies.
Leisher
Site Admin

Annihilation

Post by Leisher »

There should be a new category called "Sci-Fi Drama" to cover films like Contact, Annihilation, Interstellar, etc. The ones that lack humor, action, and are filled with symbolism and ambiguity. The ones that get love from critics and movie snobs, but after you watch it, you're not sure it was any good or not.

This is a very pretty film with good acting. However, even if you like it, it's not a film you'll ever watch again.

It's sooooo fucking slow. Additionally, there's a lot of fluff. Tons of scenes that just don't need to be in the film.

It kept my attention and I was moderately entertained, but I don't think I liked it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by GORDON »

ditto
Vince

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Vince »

This was one of those films where it takes a couple of days to really decide if you liked it or not. Director was heavily influenced by Stanley Kubrick, it seems. I think Portman's hotness is dropping faster than it should with age. Not sure what it is, but I think she's getting plain.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Not sure what it is, but I think she's getting plain.
Plain can be fine. Attitude is everything.
Cakedaddy

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Cakedaddy »

She dropped below acceptable on the attractiveness scale when she slept with Sean Penn.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: She dropped below acceptable on the attractiveness scale when she slept with Sean Penn.
Ewwwwwwww
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: I think Portman's hotness is dropping faster than it should with age. Not sure what it is, but I think she's getting plain.
She married some dancer, squirted out a kid or two, and she keeps herself so thin that she seems to lack... vitality.

She was also way less funny in her recent gangsta rap sequel.

Leisher
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: She dropped below acceptable on the attractiveness scale when she slept with Sean Penn.
That's fucking gross. Instant turnoff.
Vince

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Plain can be fine. Attitude is everything.
True. She's getting plain enough that her lack of proper attitude is a detriment.

I wasn't aware of the Sean Penn thing either.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by GORDON »

Pitch meeting: "What if The Thing except all women, less gory, more angst, and the alien breaks out at the end."
GORDON
Site Admin

Annihilation (2018)

Post by GORDON »

Read that The Shimmer is symbolic of cheating in your marriage. It rewrites the DNA of your entire life.

Anyone read the book? What did the rest of the world think when the Shimmer was growing in North Carolina?
Troy

Annihilation (2018)

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:00 pm Read that The Shimmer is symbolic of cheating in your marriage. It rewrites the DNA of your entire life.

Anyone read the book? What did the rest of the world think when the Shimmer was growing in North Carolina?
I think it was classified and controlled, as a big swathe of it was a "keep-out dangerous contaminated area" and they didn't have to worry about visitors too much. IIRC most of the books were set within the the Southern Reach facilities that border area X. Since nobody really knows about it - when the facility is basically replaced by the alien and it runs amuck - that's it - were toast completed.

Relevant NP: