10 Best Movies Ever

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

As judged by you. For whatever reasons you want.

(For me, in no particular order, except #1, and yeah, not 10)
Shawshank Redemption
Big Fish
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Apocalypse Now
The Usual Suspects
American Beauty
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Groundhog Day
The Princess Bride
The Big Sick
Office Space

Close:
Leon: The Professional
Ferris Bueller
Aladdin
Airplane!
The Graduate
Goonies
Back To the Future
Como Agua Por Chocolate
Life is Beautiful
The Dark Knight
12 Monkeys
Life of Brian
Nightmare before Christmas
Boogie Nights
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

Even then, it's really hard. Good Morning, Vietnam... El Mariachi... The Wall... so many great films.
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

I don't see how BF fits into that list at all. All those other movies weren't terrible.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I don't see how BF fits into that list at all. All those other movies weren't terrible.
I'm sorry you have no heart.
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

Yeah yeah.

I get personal taste and... what triggers you just right.... factors into what you like.

BF just left me flat, and slightly irritated.
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Yeah yeah.

I get personal taste and... what triggers you just right.... factors into what you like.

What left you irritated?
Malcolm

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I don't see how BF fits into that list at all. All those other movies weren't terrible.
I'm sorry you have no heart.
I'm sorry you like watching Tim Burton cinematically jack off to himself.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Yeah yeah.

What left you irritated?
I don't remember, it was a long time ago.

I think I had the impression that there was very little payoff, but I can't even remember the plot of the movie any more. Wasn't Ewan McGregor... going through his dead Dad's life, or something? Getting a lot of "big fish" stories that all ended up being nothing?
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
I think I had the impression that there was very little payoff, but I can't even remember the plot of the movie any more. Wasn't Ewan McGregor... going through his dead Dad's life, or something? Getting a lot of "big fish" stories that all ended up being nothing?
Or WERE THEY?
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, didn't he meet all the down-to-earth character at the end that had been embellished in the memories for the rest of the movie? It felt like such a let-down.

Again, I am remembering from about a decade ago a movie that I didn't enjoy.
Leisher
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Leisher »

I enjoy how this thread started with a single list and a request for more, and instead became a condemnation of the first list.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I enjoy how this thread started with a single list and a request for more, and instead became a condemnation of the first list.
It was really just a condemnation of a single item on the first list.
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

I would put "Jaws" on the list.
Leisher
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I would put "Jaws" on the list.
Ditto. I think any list without it is automatically void. Although Catt hates horror, so...

I would remove Office Space, Fight Club, American Beauty, Apocalypse Now, and perhaps 1-2 more. Great movies, but this is the top 10 best. Do they belong there? Probably not.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

I've watched Jaws... twice? It's a solid movie, but also boring too often. Office Space is a classic. I've watched it a billion times. I could always watch it again. OS speaks to me, and times I've experienced. Same with AB and FC. AN -> Not so much in the 'speaks to me' list, but a great, dynamic, wide-ranging film.

This is a personal top 10, not, The 10 Greatest Movies Ever For Everyone.

I can understand why some people would put the Godfather, or Alien, or Taxi Driver, or Clockwork Orange on their top 10 list, but they aren't on mine. (Godfather, in particular, I have not actually watched).
Leisher
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Godfather, in particular, I have not actually watched
Based on the other films on your list, Godfather and Godfather II are right up your alley in a big way. You should set aside a long evening with the wife to watch them.

For fun you can then smash a copy of Godfather 3 with a sledgehammer.
TheCatt wrote: I've watched Jaws... twice? It's a solid movie, but also boring too often.
This is perplexing. What bothers me most is Jaws is about characterization and setting up a payoff. All those movies on your list are the same. It should be a movie you love. The U.S.S. Indianapolis scene is one of the best scenes in movie history.
TheCatt wrote: This is a personal top 10
Fair enough.
TheCatt wrote: Alien, or Taxi Driver, or Clockwork Orange
Good films, but again, top ten? Gordon would and could argue that Aliens was superior to Alien and that's not making an "official" top ten list.
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Godfather, in particular, I have not actually watched
Based on the other films on your list, Godfather and Godfather II are right up your alley in a big way. You should set aside a long evening with the wife to watch them.

For fun you can then smash a copy of Godfather 3 with a sledgehammer.
So hard to find that amount of time without getting interrupted where we wouldn't be something... else.
Leisher wrote:
The U.S.S. Indianapolis scene is one of the best scenes in movie history.
I have no recollection of that scene, will have to rewatch... or Youtube the scene.
Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: This is a personal top 10
Fair enough.
TheCatt wrote: Alien, or Taxi Driver, or Clockwork Orange
Good films, but again, top ten? Gordon would and could argue that Aliens was superior to Alien and that's not making an "official" top ten list.
So what's your list? What's Gordon's list?
Leisher
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: So hard to find that amount of time without getting interrupted where we wouldn't be something... else.
So pause the movie for three minutes and come back. :D
TheCatt wrote: I have no recollection of that scene, will have to rewatch... or Youtube the scene.
This is only a part of the scene, but it includes the best part. All three actors are brilliant and it's beautifully directed. Understand going in that Quint (Robert Shaw) is an old sea man and he makes his living on the water. He doesn't like Hooper (Dreyfuss) because he's a young man using technology on fish and he makes Quint feel outdated. Thus, he's been giving him a hell of a time. Meanwhile, Hooper finds Quint to be an annoying old man the world has past yet he's desperately seeking his approval. Meanwhile, there's Sheriff Brody (Roy Scheider) who is a city boy out of place here and who can't swim. Notice how out of place he feels during the scar comparisons.

While we're at it, let me recommend the Cinefiles podcast. Find them on spotify/app store/yada yada... They do DEEP dives on classic movies. I think their rule is it has to be 10 years old at minimum. Jaws is one they did, and their breakdown is pretty amazing. They point out the flaws (like the Kitner kid's mom being WAY too old), insider information (How Sylvester Stallone got the role of Rocky should earn him everyone's respect, even Malcolm.), character motivations, the director's intent, etc. Like I said, it's a DEEP dive. Anyway, their Jaws episode does a great job of explaining why this scene is so important in the movie and why it is widely considered to be one of the greatest in film history.
TheCatt wrote: So what's your list? What's Gordon's list?
Gordon's list is easy: Rump Rangers 1-10.

Kidding! I think I could probably guess his list though or at least many films on it.

Mine would require a lot of thinking and even when done, I'd be pissed knowing I'm forgetting something.

Also, the list would really need to have a set criteria. For example: I might LOVE a movie and know it was one of the greatest films I've ever seen, but is it something I'll stop and watch every chance I get? I've seen a lot of great dramas, but sometimes once is enough even if it's great! I almost think it'd be better to do lists by genre.
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, my list would require way more contemplation than I would be willing to do.

I noticed Mrs. Kitner being older, but it didn't bother me. Middle age babies aren't uncommon.
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:I almost think it'd be better to do lists by genre.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to let the lists assign their own genre these days.