10 Best Movies Ever

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: I almost think it'd be better to do lists by genre.
Yeah. Each is shooting for different goals or emotions. It's why it's such a bitch to talk about Alien v. Aliens.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I have no recollection of that scene, will have to rewatch... or Youtube the scene.
This is only a part of the scene, but it includes the best part. All three actors are brilliant and it's beautifully directed. Understand going in that Quint (Robert Shaw) is an old sea man and he makes his living on the water. He doesn't like Hooper (Dreyfuss) because he's a young man using technology on fish and he makes Quint feel outdated. Thus, he's been giving him a hell of a time. Meanwhile, Hooper finds Quint to be an annoying old man the world has past yet he's desperately seeking his approval. Meanwhile, there's Sheriff Brody (Roy Scheider) who is a city boy out of place here and who can't swim. Notice how out of place he feels during the scar comparisons.
Not really movie related, but... boat found
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

Robert Shaw's son does a pretty good Robert Shaw impresssion.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/357 ... uint-jaws/
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm This is perplexing. What bothers me most is Jaws is about characterization and setting up a payoff. All those movies on your list are the same. It should be a movie you love. The U.S.S. Indianapolis scene is one of the best scenes in movie history.
I rewatched it this weekend, my wife had never seen it. Its still a solid movie, but I still don't love the pacing. Spielberg got better over time. A few transitions in the movie are just weird, etc.

Does it seem odd to anyone that the privileged kid young shark expert knew about the Indianapolis, but not the cop?
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

The shark expert wouldn't know about the recent event in which hundreds of men got eaten by sharks?

Cop was from NYC. They're all ignorant there of anything that happens outside of NYC.
TheCatt
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:33 pm The shark expert wouldn't know about the recent event in which hundreds of men got eaten by sharks?
He might know about recent events, but something 30 years ago (the USS Indianapolis)? Something where the sharks were secondary to what really happened (the drowning, the insanity, etc). I guess they overplayed the shark angle in the movie.
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

I presume 30 years ago was within his lifetime, if just barely. Feels like that makes it recent, relatively.

Well, when we first met Quint we saw his place was literally full of shark jaws. It's a nice set piece, but it's a huge hint that he was obsessed with killing each and every shark he came across. Having him tell his story was the payoff of that.... and having Hooper recognize it, and his reaction of horror right ahead of it, sets us, the audience, into just the correct headspace to hear the story.

Jaws is a perfect movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 pm Jaws is a perfect movie.
Yep.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by thibodeaux »

Predator is a perfect movie
GORDON
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:04 am
GORDON wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 pm Jaws is a perfect movie.
Yep.
Well, I just remembered something. There's a bad audio edit during the autopsy scene... "and this is what happens" seems out of place. But it's like a wart on the corner of Cindy Crawford's mouth... a tiny imperfection to make you realize the package is perfect.

But maybe that single flaw doesn't make the movie according-to-Hoyle-perfect.
Leisher
Site Admin

10 Best Movies Ever

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:36 am Predator is a perfect movie
I don't find fault with this statement.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”